Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back pack with rest

Back pack with rest

I do a fair bit of woodland stalking with sticks and a bit on the hill without. I hate bipods with a passion, they are heavy, ugly, noisy, but when you want to get prone very useful. I recently found a very nice narrow back pack that doesn't constantly try to push the rifle off your shoulder and is just about big enough to take a spare fleece and other bits of garb you end up taking out.

The thought was, and your feedback would be appriciated, would there be any interest in a narrow backpack with a front rest built into the bottom of it, allowing you to ditch the bipod yet always have a good prone rest at hand?

Please tell me if you think I'm off with the fairys.

Check these out:

http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Master.htm

Only problem is the price:

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eitemid=347000

Were you thinking of having something made especially for the job? Plenty interest no doubt.
    Last edited by Lee303; 15-03-2011 at 21:03. Reason: Missed content

Would be a special make up, but I can do that to a reasonable standard. The ones on the elberstock site look interesting but I was looking at something far simpler - and cheaper! The fairys have one vote so far, but i might have a play anyway. At least someone thinks it might be worthwhile!

No no, I think it would be a great idea.

I just saw the Eberlestock stuff and wished for something cheaper in a similar style!

Fairies remain on their own!!

On it. Back in a few weeks.

I'm a Fairy (never thought I would post that on the web)

I hate bipods too

I have looked all over for a small backpack that didn't get in the way & settled on a ridgeline hydration pack http://images.nitrosell.com/product_...o-backpack.jpg
    which will take anything you need for a day on the hill (just) & then i roll up a poncho & stuff it into the elastic cross at tfront of the pack to give enough hieght for a decent rest , seems to do the trick for me.That said I would like to see a purpose built design .

Down with bipods !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldy View Post
    I'm a Fairy (never thought I would post that on the web)
    Being away with the fairies - Thinking it's a mad idea!

So, your Net announcement of such was uneccessary, you are not a fairy!!

So far, it's all interest...
    Last edited by Lee303; 15-03-2011 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee303 View Post
    Being away with the fairies - Thinking it's a mad idea!

So, your Net announcement of such was uneccessary, you are not a fairy!!

So far, it's all interest...
    Phew! thats a relief !!

or is it !!!

Before we had bipods we used to roll up a rifle slip or rest on a roesack, I have shot many deer using (abusing?) a pair of Zeiss binos as a bipod. I think we are now coming full circle.

I blame moderators, we could stand the extra weight of a bipod as it had big advantages and the point of balance was not effected too badly however moderators have totally ruined that so now we are looking to shave off weight and the poor old bipod has to go! Been there, done this!

I was thinking the other day about an old rucksac that I had as a boy with a triagular metal frame, I bet it would make a reasonable roesack and a very good sitting position rest? I suspect the lower part of the frame might make slinging the rifle akward. I might have a look on eblag and, if I can find one cheap enough, have a play.

JC