Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cubs about

cubs about

Checked an earth this afternoon with a terrier on a lead , just a small 3 hole place , got a good mark so we netted up and popped the bitch in . 5 minutes later out come a vixen , quickly dispatched , she looked drawn so we sat back and waited watching the locator box the bitch stopped about 4 times before coming out with a small cub maybe 4 days old . Next earth , 7 holes, good mark so net up . the bitch is soon baying at the 1.8 mtr mark , by the time we got down to her she had killed another nursing vixen so we left her to work the earth through before back filling and moving on , so look out boys another 3-4 weeks and theyll be showing up

Found earth last week cubs already on top!

Up here don't go near a den on high ground untill mid April, low ground could look at end of this month as 3 - 4 weeks difference in cub size.

Bod

Intresting post, that probably explains why we not seeing any foxes at present. We saw one last week and last night in 2hrs saw 15 roe, some hares and not a sign of a fox. I suspect the vixens are all holed up and the dogs are being very coy at present.

As we are in similar area would expect to see some by middle April.

D

im not far from Yate , their not showing yet , nowhere near these were days old hence the vixens being holed with them still

generally my theory is dont go near the dens unless u intend to deal with the occupents there and then .not seen any sign here yet but the last two foxs shot were both dogs !

if you have a good terrier that marks holes it pays to use it now if you get a mark now you can be sure the vixen is at home , i run as many wires as possible now , sit out most mornings or evenings , plenty of lamping till the crops are too high and i start driving the covers first week in april

we dug two sets of litters last weekend 1st litter about a week old 7 in the litter plus the vixen secound litter were about 3 days old and a litter of 4 plus vixen the keeper was chuffed to bits . but on a bit of waste land where i live the neighbours cat vanished so i said i would take a look and low and behold two litters are born there one being very well used and sure its cubs darting about i hear them all the time when i am in the garden but being only in my new place 4 mths got to play it by ear as one of my neighbours is very very anti infact a active animal rights **** who has felt my silver tongue and now knows where she stands i often leave my truck unwashed after a weeks foxing just for her benifit i have prewarnd her any damage she will answer for it .

Yeah we have some on the ground here, although the litters seem to be small again last year we didnt see a litter above three.

We were out last night and only saw a single fox (and that one just buggered about inside the edge of a wood over the boundary, not interested in coming to a squeak, so we blanked ).

No sightings/reports of any cubs. Yet.....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.