Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aladins Slippers!

Aladins Slippers!

Shot a couple of Roe Does in a Nature Reserve tonight which has not been shot before.
    One was very old (8+) and had a very bad case of 'Aladins Slippers'.
    Attachment 5473Attachment 5474
    She was in poor condition weighing only 32lbs head and legs on. Also no Foetus, probably due to old age and low threshold body weight. Lucky to make it through this winter and unlikely to survive another. Great cull animal, and a prime example as to why deer management is necessary - even in Nature Reserves!
    Very strange place to manage though! I had to stalk within 20m of a football match on a school playing field on the way to my high seat!
    MS

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Have seen similar on a sambar hind in a few pics someone posted. Have personally seen them on a donkey as well,worse as they were curled like ram horns.

Interesting MS, what were her teeth like? I have seen alladins slippers a few times, I suspect that it is often due to leg injuries or conditions (arthritis?) that cause the beast to place its feet abnormally and therefore not wear the claws. Could even be spinal if it is the hind feet effected. JC

I was told by a vet that it is caused by Laminitis

I (clients) have shot 3 this year (we get about 4 a year normally) all ready. WITH BACKSTOPS

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Interesting MS, what were her teeth like? I have seen alladins slippers a few times, I suspect that it is often due to leg injuries or conditions (arthritis?) that cause the beast to place its feet abnormally and therefore not wear the claws. Could even be spinal if it is the hind feet effected. JC
    Her teeth were very worn with only about 2-3mm above the gum. Certainly not long enough to have bitten her toenails!
    These were the front feet, the back ones were slightly long but not abnormal for such an old girl.
    I've got some good ones of a similar Muntjac which I'll try and find. I've also got one of a young red stag with one back hoof about 6-8 inches long! He'd suffered a broken back leg and been carrying that leg ever since.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Her teeth were very worn with only about 2-3mm above the gum. Certainly not long enough to have bitten her toenails!
    These were the front feet, the back ones were slightly long but not abnormal for such an old girl.
    I've got some good ones of a similar Muntjac which I'll try and find. I've also got one of a young red stag with one back hoof about 6-8 inches long! He'd suffered a broken back leg and been carrying that leg ever since.
    MS
    If the teeth are that worn she is alot older than 8 more like 11-12 years old.

If you read any books on roe 7 years is still concidered mature and 8 is just the start of being concidered an old animal.

So a bit of a contradiction in your description of being 8+ and very old.

You might want to try reading a book called young or old it is a very good book on aging roe.

Quote Originally Posted by sweep 6.5x55 View Post
    If the teeth are that worn she is alot older than 8 more like 11-12 years old.

If you read any books on roe 7 years is still concidered mature and 8 is just the start of being concidered an old animal.

So a bit of a contradiction in your description of being 8+ and very old.

You might want to try reading a book called young or old it is a very good book on aging roe.
    I would suggest that in an area where roe are killed in large numbers and the ground isn't good for them(and there are good backstops). then age to being old is reletive to that ground.
    i.e. an animal which reaches 5 might be considered old for that ground.

how old was the one I shot with you last month John? poor old girl hardly had any teeth left.

I cannot comment mate you took her home and I never got to good a look.