Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly equipment, but fun.

Not exactly equipment, but fun.

I got to shoot an intersting handgun this weekend. A Taurus "Judge" revolver that shoots both 45 Long Colt and .410 shot shells. The gun I tested had a 3" ported barrel, a 5 shot cylinder, and a bit of muzzle blast with the .45 ammo I was using. It's really accurate though. This is a 12 yard, off hand target. The coin is a US 5-cent piece for comparative purposes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45LC Nickle Group 12 yards.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	5477

The gun is for "self defense" but I think it would be a great back packers survival gun. It is legal because it has a rifled barrel. If it was a smooth bore it would be considered a short barreled shotgun and be banned. Anyhow, it is an interesting gun.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I got to shoot an intersting handgun this weekend. A Taurus "Judge" revolver that shoots both 45 Long Colt and .410 shot shells. The gun I tested had a 3" ported barrel, a 5 shot cylinder, and a bit of muzzle blast with the .45 ammo I was using. It's really accurate though. This is a 12 yard, off hand target. The coin is a US 5-cent piece for comparative purposes.

Name:	45LC Nickle Group 12 yards.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	5477

The gun is for "self defense" but I think it would be a great back packers survival gun. It is legal because it has a rifled barrel. If it was a smooth bore it would be considered a short barreled shotgun and be banned. Anyhow, it is an interesting gun.~Muir
    We had them over here for a while not too long ago. I think our legal situation was the revese of yours. Here they had to have a smoothbore barrel to qualify as section 1 short barrelled shotguns. If they had been rifled they would have been a pistol and section 5, prohibited.
    There's been a bit of a hoo haa as to whether they're actually legal within our law and I'm not sure what the outcome has been, or even if it's been resolved yet. I'm sure someone on here will know the result.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Muir, that is a seriously goood group, 12 yards off hand? I would be lucky to hit the paper.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Muir, that is a seriously goood group, 12 yards off hand? I would be lucky to hit the paper.....
    I reckon he has used a pistol before! JC

Interesting about the smoothbore law. I used to take surplus Colt Model 1917 revolvers in 45 ACP and pull the barrels, reaming the rifling out from the rear to within a half inch of the muzzle. This left the pistol "rifled" in the eyes of the law. Shot cartridges were then made from 30-06 cases shortened to cylinder length and loaded with #8 shot and sealed with a card wad and wax. If if I'd cut out all that rifling I'd have gone to prison!

As to the group size, it is a good one but "luck favors the prepared" and I shoot handgun twice a week, minimum, so I stay in practice. I shoot my S&W Model 17 .22LR six incher roughly 200 shots per outing! My favorite centerrire handgun is my S&W Model 1926 2nd Hand Ejector, 6.5" .44 Special. An amazingly accurate handgun.~Muir

An interesting thread legally, which just shows how perverse the law can be in both countries, which makes a change from it just being us that has draconian laws.

Neat group. Any chance of pictures of the pistol?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Name:	4510-3BULCT.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	5487

This is the model I was sent to test. It's got a ported barrel that didn't inhibit muzzle flip much that I could notice! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

Name:	4510-3BULCT.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	5487

This is the model I was sent to test. It's got a ported barrel that didn't inhibit muzzle flip much that I could notice! ~Muir
    Judge, Jury and ......... What a mean looking beast. Thanks you!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Judge, Jury and ......... What a mean looking beast. Thanks you!

Simon
    There you O' cuz of mine, I told you what the name of the ammo should be, and now Simon agrees without being prompted

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

This one isn't the bullet I designed tho. ~Muir