Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small lump on outside of Labs ear

Small lump on outside of Labs ear

I noticed last week my black lab had a small lump on the outside of his ear, at first I thought great first tick of the year time to front line, nope wife took him to the vet who says its a cancer growth, 38 to k.o. him anywhere between 10 - 30 mins op and 70 for bio on growth all in up to 380 estimate! Vets sure know how to charge.

Anyone else had a similar thing on a dogs ear? Lump looks just like a tick thats about to fall off.

Swaying just to get it removed and leave it at that.

YIS.

Bod

One of the beauties of having insurance. If it is cancer you risk loosing the dog. Sorry but it is your choice.
    ATB

jim

Question I would be asking the vet. If it is a cancerous growth what would be the next step. I think it would all depend on how much of the growth can be totally removed during the op. If it can be removed totally personally I would wonder about what I would do with the knowledge of it being malignant or whatever. If it can't be totally removed I would want to know if it was malignant re further treatment.

Vet said did not look malignat in all my years of keeping labs I have never seen it as said looks like a big tick, will find out on Friday, I don't do dog insurance if company finds out its a working animal cost goes through the roof.

So fingers crossed all okay as he is only 2.5 years old and a good worker.

Bod

You always have the option of having the lump removed and preserved in formalin. That way if it came back you could send it off, otherwise sit on it. It would keep forever that way.

Hi Bod, I have had two young English Springer's with similar growths to that you describe. One on a three year olds foot and the other on a four month old puppy. Vet said the same as yours. I paid for histology to be done and that confirmed the diagnosis of "Histocytoma". Total vets cost in November was 360 for removal, so again similar to your bill. Have a look at this link:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise...istiocytom.htm

Hope this puts your mind at rest. Be interested to know the results of your tests. Good luck.

Kind regards
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by BODACH View Post
    Vet said did not look malignat in all my years of keeping labs I have never seen it as said looks like a big tick, will find out on Friday, I don't do dog insurance if company finds out its a working animal cost goes through the roof.

So fingers crossed all okay as he is only 2.5 years old and a good worker.

Bod

Here is another site that shows some good pictures of histocytoma. as you can see, they are very variable in form.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1...w=1259&bih=610

They tend to grow very quickly, but both the ones on my dogs stated out by looking and feeling like a tick. The one on the puppies ear then went crusty and the surface broke up with hair loss within a week.

Kind regards
    Fred

Hi Milly,

Thank you for the links some of the pictures look like the lump Don has, he goes to the vets tomorrow. Never knew vets did price fixing!

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Regards,

Bod.

Apache's advice is sound as a way of keeping the bill down. If it is a histiocytoma - common on ears, head, limbs in young dogs - they can regress spontaneously. The problem being that they can also enlarge and be a nuisance. I've often done a fine needle biopsy to find out what it was before going to surgery. In a well mannered dog, this can be done without sedation/anaesthetic.

Thanks for all information, some good advise on here, my labs a big soft mut and I hope that they can remove the lump with a local, as you all know vets charge by the kilo! Funny though when you get the dogs jabbed they charge same for a lab as a terrier the weight ratio don't come in to that one!

Bod