deer species

widows son

Heres a question Ive been asked I'll put it to you first to see the consensus of opinion .

We have six species of Deer in the UK, we have Deer in Europe of the same species we have Deer in the USA, China, Japan , the list goes on and on .

The Question : Can I carry out a level two stalk as a AW in any of these other countries, if they were stalking and shooting the same species as we have in the UK.

If not why not, we have plenty of service men and women, that live in Germany, that stalk, there is also many people from North America and Canada that are on the site who may wish to stalk here at some time .

If the law doe's change to ,you must have a qualification in a Deer related subject IE level, what ever how can these people get qualified .

Last edited:
Damn fine question that....

Properly witnessed and when it's a home species it should be as valid as any home stalk surely? Axis in a park for level two, never heard that one.

I can't see a reason as to why not
stalking is stalking no matter what country you live and hunt in

on the list of AW's there are a few that are based in the Netherlands
so I'm guessing this practice is already in play

Yes you can infact Peter purse glove gose across to Belgium and dose both lev one and lev 2 when he is there. The three chaps i had out last year from across the water all had LEV2 and were members of BASC

Last edited:
Many thanks gents for those that contributed to the answer having looked at the viewing into the 140s and the replies mmmmm.

Just maybe I should have put something up about a French Knife or the SAS they both hit top viewing ,with very little content to what we're actually trying to produce, here thats better more competent stalkers with quality knowledge and skills .

Must be OK critera are to stalk shoot gralloch to the correct standard Deer anyone want AW somewhere exotic I only ask for expenses to be paid;) this :old:could do with an all expenses paid holiday. bonus could be a free stalk.

I cant see why not , the level 2 book doesnt state what or where you shoot or has it changed recently ? Im all for folk training and learning a bit more , i thought i would do it before it becomes law and it cant hurt can it

I can't see why not all the states is that to achieve a pass at level two candidates must have demonstrated an ability to stalk and humanely despatch deer and prepare them for storage. They will have demonstrated a successful performance in the humane culling of at least three dear on separate occasions.

I can't see where it specifies the geographical location or species, it is the candidate surely that is being assessed not where the stalk is taking place or the species involved.

But I could be wrong I was once :eek:

John

John

Many thanks gents for those that contributed to the answer having looked at the viewing into the 140s and the replies mmmmm.

Just maybe I should have put something up about a French Knife or the SAS they both hit top viewing ,with very little content to what we're actually trying to produce, here thats better more competent stalkers with quality knowledge and skills .
maybe all those views were for the same reason as I looked in ? to learn something ? can't expect everyone to know everything y'know :lol:

Well if it is kosher why am I having to do DSC1 because my Jagdschein from soldiering in Germany is worth diddly squat according to DMQ? Head now down again under parapet as I am of to B****y. I only hope my memory holds up because I passed in 1985 and may yet fail in 2011!

When I WAS an accredited witness, I did a witness on a couple of fellows and sent the data away to the 'powers that be'. I next found that my submitted forms on the candidate were being criticised as though I was the test candidate, in a most pedantic manner. I bit my tongue and got on with it.

Next thing I knew was that an update on AW's was being done and I was required to attend a course - and pay for it. I had not earned a penny by being a witness but had given of my time. Now I was to upgrade myself and pay for the privilege.

How nice of them. That ended my period of doing favours for a quango who were busy raking in the cash.

It's fairly typical that the UK idea of having courses and tests on deer stalking were, as far as I know, imported primarily from the German 'bible on hunting' by those officers who had been invited to attend hunting parties in Deutchland post-war and had been impressed with their ideas.

So the embryo of the idea was born and now, even the origin of the idea, incorporated in the Jagdshein seems not to be good enough.

I can't see where it specifies the geographical location or species, it is the candidate surely that is being assessed not where the stalk is taking place or the species involved.

But I could be wrong I was once :eek:

John

Interestingly enough ,
you may not be wrong here either , but on the other note
when I did my L2, it was suggested by my IV that I did not use an exotic species as choice for one of my ICR's
I would imagine if my IV had no knowledge about the species of deer or antelope I was using for my ICR , then how could they sign it off themselves as an exceptable cull criteria which fits in with L2
just a thought

Heres a question Ive been asked I'll put it to you first to see the consensus of opinion .

We have six species of Deer in the UK, we have Deer in Europe of the same species we have Deer in the USA, China, Japan , the list goes on and on .

The Question : Can I carry out a level two stalk as a AW in any of these other countries, if they were stalking and shooting the same species as we have in the UK.

If not why not, we have plenty of service men and women, that live in Germany, that stalk, there is also many people from North America and Canada that are on the site who may wish to stalk here at some time .

If the law doe's change to ,you must have a qualification in a Deer related subject IE level, what ever how can these people get qualified .

IMHO the answer is yes.

by their own definition the evidence provided by the Aw is the strongest but no mention where that information is received from is stated....

me thinks Big Bad Bob already knew that.....ha ha

DMQ will give credit for previous experience. If the evidence is accepted this means that you do not have to have an Assessor or an Approved Witness present for that part of the qualification. Evidence collected in the presence of an Approved Witness is always the strongest, but if this is not possible then the evidence can be built by:

Presenting examples of your own work such as cull records
Obtaining written statements from people who are prepared to confirm your skills in writing and if necessary, answer any queries that an assessor may have with regard to those skills

Back