Maintaining FAC while abroad

greville1689

I am about to be posted abroad for 3 years and my FAC will expire while I am away. This happened the last time I was away and it was a real hassle getting sorted out when I returned (I had to get the rifle and shotgun shipped back to a Gunshop and then go through the whole initial issue of FAC once I was back). This time I will be leaving my rifle and shotgun in UK. But as I have no idea where I will be coming back to I do not know which Police force to approach. Currently I am under North Yorkshire Police (pretty fair and efficient). We have strong links with Fife, although no fixed abode there. I have tried to renew my FAC early but the Police won't do this.

What should I do? Grateful for any help

I think that I'd take firearms and shotgun renwal forms with me, fill them in and send back to uk police force 2 months prior to expiry, if you are in the armed forces I can't see a problem with your firearms admin sending/posting certs to BFPO address'. If it's a civillian posting explain your position and have the certs. sent to address where firearms/shotguns are being stored. I really can't think of anything else but I'm sure that others on the site/forum who have had the same problem will be able to guide you...callie

I am about to be posted abroad for 3 years and my FAC will expire while I am away. This happened the last time I was away and it was a real hassle getting sorted out when I returned (I had to get the rifle and shotgun shipped back to a Gunshop and then go through the whole initial issue of FAC once I was back). This time I will be leaving my rifle and shotgun in UK. But as I have no idea where I will be coming back to I do not know which Police force to approach. Currently I am under North Yorkshire Police (pretty fair and efficient). We have strong links with Fife, although no fixed abode there. I have tried to renew my FAC early but the Police won't do this.

What should I do? Grateful for any help

Unfortunately if you donot have a UK addrss then you cannot renew your SGC and FAC.

You will have to either have a valid UK address or let your tickets expire and then reapply when you return from your tour

I had a year abroad and renewed my FAC and SC before i went and put my firearms into storage with my local RFD. Had no problems with Derbyshire Police. Good reason is usually enough for most firearms departments, but depends what side of the bed they crawled out of on that particular day.
Paul

Apache - I still intend to return to UK regularly to go stalking, it is just that HMG have decided that for 3 years I will be abroad. I have held an FAC for 30+ years (except for the 3 month gap when the FAC expired last time). When I was in Germany before I took the weapons with me and they were covered by both EU Firearms Pass and a German Waffenbesitzkarte (German FAC). This time I will be leaving weapons here.

Where and how you will be intending to securely store the firearms in the UK in your absence? It all really hinges on this.

Would it be more convenient near your shooting area or maybepoint of entry in the UK so you can pick them up en-route.

Then the options to investigate might be:

Have a friend or someone willing and you trust to get both rifle and shotgun entered on his certs. Shotgun no problem just a self-entry as 'on loan', but the rifle will require a variation. You should still be able to have access to both if you maintain your own certs.

Join a rifle club/range with an armoury where you can store your firearms on a long term basis.

Store with an RFD and pay the charge.

Once you have decided which force area you are likely to come under speak with them about your options.

Last edited:
Greville, the worst you could do is ring local Firearms Admin and enquire, at best , get in touch with Home Office, surly there must be some guidence for armed service personell owning FAs and SGs whilst serving overseas and weapons remaining in the UK.

I was overseas for three years when my FAC expired.
best thing you can do IMO is have those guns on someone elses cert.

there was a hold up in the application procedure and the police actually turned up to my father's house to "seize" "my" guns. when he politely told them that they were officially "his" guns they slumped off sulking....
RFD storage is expensive and you will still have to have them shipped there if expiry happens when you are away.
Have your FAC renewal form prepared and ready for when it expires, either you or someone else can send in the application.

As for asking why should he have a FAC if he is going away for three years, would you expect him to hand in his UK driving license under the same conditions!!!?
Having firearms and an FAC is not a right the police have the authority to "allow" people to have.
They are there to administer.

Relinquishing his FAC and going through the disposal of weapons, then having to reapply and reacquire firearms after three years is not an option.
apart from the logistics a new application is a ball ache compared to a renewal

I have been in the same situation. It was agreed with the FEO that I could leave my guns in my container in a military armoury. All went fine until renewal time, and a new FEO!! End result, the police weren't happy that I didn't regularly check the security of my guns(!!!) so I had to arrange for a RFD to store the guns and my FAC lapsed. I had to reapply for my FAC when I was posted back and had a permanent address.

I am the secretary of a rifle club, in the last four years two of our club members moved abroad and later returned, one with the services the other on a long working holiday in Australia. In both cases their certificates expired while overseas. In the first case the guy maintained a home address in the U.K. so the renewal of his certificate was relatively simple though he was required to join an approved club on his return with regard to his target shooting activities his membership having lapsed in his absence. Most of the communication with his issuing police force was conducted via email and telephone.
The second guy took his rifles with him to Australia and on his return had to apply for the grant of a new certificate; he had not maintained a home address in the U.K. so was unable to renew his existing certificate. His interest was purely target shooting so was required to belong to a rifle club and needed to serve a probationary period. It became a bit of a chicken and egg situation. He could not be granted a certificate until he was the member of a rifle club and the club cannot grant immediate membership in his case because he didn’t hold a firearms certificate (Home Office rules for approved clubs). The police adopted a very reasonable approach in this case and in agreement with the club issued a certificate although he was only a probationary member.
Two separate police forces were involved but they were in total agreement on this one in that a person must have a home address in the U.K. to renew or be granted a certificate by the Chief Constable in the area that they reside. This can certainly cause problems for members of H.M. Forces unless they do as some and give their permanent home address as their parents.

This can certainly cause problems for members of H.M. Forces unless they do as some and give their permanent home address as their parents.

This is exactly what I have done in a very similar situation. I am currently posted to Cyprus, due to return late 2012(subject to Glasgow - never be too sure ;)). My FEO was very helpful as he just went and looked at the cabinet in my absence and asked me to give him a bell next time I was in the UK. I was back last week, did that, and he was again helpful. The real proof of the pudding will come in Aug 12 when renewal is due however.

My son was told by hampshire that if he was out of the country for more than 6mths then he was supposed to surrender his licence, luckly they told him this on his return from Ireland.:D

I see no reason not allowing a person to hold an FAC without actually having guns. So if the guns are in storage or someone else's name renewal of an FAC with open slots for use upon return (or dual ownership) & registered to home address(or mam&dads) shouldn't be a problem.
I stand to be corrected and that is all things being equal & we know they aren't, also dependant on Feo opinions.
​P.S. I should add I know of this happening to several serving staff with cabinets left in homes unlocked & empty for inspection, guns in storage, dual ownership/use with other FAC holder and renewals processed by telephone, email & post.
Allbeit some years ago now.

Last edited:
Back