Thread: Wandering Zero

Wandering Zero

Zeroed my new .270 today starting at 50m and then out to 100m. All Ok then decide to see where it hits at 200m. Much to my surprise suddenly find the two shots taken are 6" high.

Does not make sense, should be low if anything. Decide to try again off a more solid bench rest to remove operator error and then discover my mod has come slightly loose when the first bullets miss the target altogether. Quickly tighten up mod and problem solved.

They say you learn something new everyday and this has certainly reminded me to check that my mod is always screwed up tightly.

Which leads me to wonder.... how often this has happened to other hunters when they miss by a mile and then worry unnecessarily about their rifle being out of zero???

Funny I read the tittle of your post and thought I bet he didnt check his mod was tight.

Most rifles have a right hand thread cut for the mod and also have a righthand rifling twist this can cause the mod to come loose during firing

Military stuff has a left handed thread for the mod to get round this problem

Might be worth having a good look at your moody just to make sure there is no damage.

D

Quote Originally Posted by sweep 6.5x55 View Post
    Funny I read the tittle of your post and thought I bet he didnt check his mod was tight.

Most rifles have a right hand thread cut for the mod and also have a righthand rifling twist this can cause the mod to come loose during firing

Military stuff has a left handed thread for the mod to get round this problem
    Oh now I could not resist this one I see that the modern Military is just catching up with the old BSA firm and Metford. The Enfield form that Remington has discovered and calling 5R is actually of Metford's design and BSA being formed to full fill the British forces needs they used LH twist rifling and most claibres also have five lands and grooves seems there is nothing really new at all .

Thank you for the tip, I do check mod is on tight but not for this reason but because when I first got the rifle the mod unscrewed its self brushing against my leg and dropped off whilst I was stalking up a hedge and it took me 1 hr to find it in the long grass.Needless to say the deer were long gone

Grease the threads of the rifle before you screw the mod on. While this will not totally eliminate the mod unscrewing it will certainly reduce the chances of if happening and it will stay tight for a lot more rounds.

Hmmm it sounds as if the thread is a bit loose?

I have noticed that there does not seem to be any consistancy in threading although a sample of two is not a good one to go on but it's all I have right now. Have acquired two rifles already threaded and both are difference in feel when screwing on the Wildcat P8 so I can only assume that those who did the job have never heard of wires or screw guages. One can pick up ring guages quite reasonably priced as well as the gap type Go/Nogo ones. If one is threading and charging for it then surely one should have such things. I am trying to recall the name of the thread form guages that clip onto the anvils of a micrometer to measure the effective diameter of the threads.......................... and failing. Have to do a search on that .

Brit that is all far too technical for modern rifle smiths they all use Digital verniers for screw cutting.

Dont you know anything?