Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 26mm scope in 1" rings

26mm scope in 1" rings

Is it possible to ream 1" rings out to 26mm and end up with a well mounted spoke?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Sure it's possible but why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Sure it's possible but why bother?
    Because I may be getting a 26mm scope and have weaver bases. What are my options?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

squeeze them on!
    they are .25mm shy on each side of the tube at 26mm

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    squeeze them on!
    they are .25mm shy on each side of the tube at 26mm
    I think that would squash the scope. The problem is, My rifle has weaver mounts, and you can't get leupold mounts for it (I think - HVA 1640). The prices on 26mm rings, when I see them are very very high! And 30mm rings are a lot too, but I guess that'd be the easiest route. So long as I can return the 1" I've ordered. I was just thinking if lapping was easy I'd go that route.

It's not too much metal to take off. Would wrapping some emery cloth round a 1" bar and lapping each half out work? Obviously keeping the ring square...

Don't even think of trying it, it's not easy to get it right but easy to make a mess of the job. The best solution is to get a set of 26mm rings even if it is necessary to change the bases also.
    Some rings which have plastic insert collars such as Optilocks will take both 1" and 26mm.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Don't even think of trying it, it's not easy to get it right but easy to make a mess of the job. The best solution is to get a set of 26mm rings even if it is necessary to change the bases also.
    Some rings which have plastic insert collars such as Optilocks will take both 1" and 26mm.
    Yes but I'm pretty sure the only bases available are weaver or warne. I guess I could get a machine shop to do it...

What rifle are you trying to mount the scope on Harry?

Unless i am wrong i had a Docter 8x56 which im pretty sure is a 26mm tube, i had this mounted firstly on a cz 452 rimmy with 1" rings then on my .222 sako with optilocks and even put it on my theoben rapid air rifle the other day for a laugh all 1" rings and remarkably the tube of the scope has not got a single mark on it. I dont know how there are no marks resulting from this because when i put it on the airgun if you loosened the rings the scope popped back up straight away again but no marks at all. What type of scope is it you are mounting?? My Docter could be steel not alloy which could explain this might be different ending with alloy scope but they are stronger than you think. It would be very difficult to ream out the mounts top and bottom and get them as even as they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    What rifle are you trying to mount the scope on Harry?
    A Husqvarna 1640K