Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller breed deer dogs?

Smaller breed deer dogs?

Does anyone use a smaller breed for deer dogs, Let's say 20lbs or smaller? In the US most people do not use dogs. If they need to track a real trophy Big dollars, they usully hire someone witha a tracker dog. One of the best around here uses a wirehaired dashund. What smaller breeds are popular if any? capt david

Captdavid my shooting partner stalks with terriers off lines i had my self years passed and and most are still used for stalkng weight 14 18 pounds.
    Out od bright more and cowan terriers this line has been used for stalking for 6-8 generation.

I looked up cowan terriers and no info, do they have another name? capt gavid

http://www.terrierman.com/broadhurst.htm Most breeders of good terriers were welknown over here mate but there fame did not go in to much print. But the working lakeland known as the worlds best working terrer is all you need to know. spawning Jaged terriers the harder russels and many many more.

Some folk call the patterdales , theres plenty of lines in the U.S

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Captdavid my shooting partner stalks with terriers off lines i had my self years passed and and most are still used for stalkng weight 14 18 pounds.
    Out od bright more and cowan terriers this line has been used for stalking for 6-8 generation.

Shes a cracker that one , butter wouldnt melt eh

She takes a wee while to let go but hey she is always on the head so it dont mater. Working Lakeland , Fell ,Patterdale , ETC Same dog some times to stuburn to train to a high standard but this line seems to be HBS (Hard But Sencable)
    Last edited by 6pointer; 18-03-2011 at 05:01.

Nice loking terrier Davie and a cracking buck as well. I think I have mentioned this before but some years back I looked into a terrier after a headkeeper I know used his for tracking wounded Muntjac and Fallow on the estate he managed. I think it was a Lakeland x Pattadale but that dog would tackle anything and had no fear of any wounded Munty, it just steamed in and killed it

My only concern with a dog like that is tackling anything bigger like a Sika Stag or Red and steaming in and getting gored. But terriers can make cracking deer dogs.

Captdavid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alfie 063.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	5516
    This is my 12 month old Border terrier that I am currently training to track deer. so far so good! Takes the blood trail with real drive. Haven't done it on the real thing yet, just setting the trail up and rewarding with deer heart at the end.

Being a terrier I was a little concerned he may be a little yappy when out stalking. Took him with me the other evening whilst sitting up a high seat and tied him up at the bottom of the seat. I was expecting him to be trying to climb the ladder and start yapping. He was the complete opposite. Seemed as though his natural instict kicked in and he remained silent, scanning the ground and sniffing the air. Really pleased with him so far!

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alfie 084.jpg  

Nice to see a border in the stalking game, out of all the breeds of terrier I have owned would say the border is the best suited to train as a tracker / spotter.

My opinion of course and I have now kept border for over 15 years.

Bod