Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loads for .223 - 1-8 twist.

Loads for .223 - 1-8 twist.

Hi all.

Have any of you guys out there got any loads that you yourselfs have found to be good for the 223 with a one in eight twist rifle, would love some feed back on this as most are for 1 in 12.
    We could all gain by the feed back if you have a 1 in 8 twist thats what its all about.

Thanks Chris

My rifle is 1:8. I have got lots of data off the web, google heavy bullets in .223 for a start.

My standard load is 26gn Varget with a 60gn V max. Loaded 10 thou off the lands. Find it does the job for me and is more accurate than the operator.

I use Lapua cases and CCI standard primers. Neck sized and I use a Redding match seater.

26gn of Varget is v close to a 100% load so you will need to sort the cases into correct volumes. If you have a compressed load you will feed it and the COL will increase, so have to measure them all.

If the truth was known 75 A max is the bullet to use , but dependent on your mode of loading they might not fit in your mag. I have a AICIS stock with a .308 mag (modified) so it will take rounds with 80gn Sierras and will mag feed, which is handy.

if you wanrt some more info feel free to pm me.

D

If I load heavier bullets eg 75gn or above I find best to use bench rest primers or reminington 71/2's

Got a 1:9 twist so not quite there. Couple of bullets I've used, 65gr Sierra Gameking, 63gr Semi point and 69gr Matchking.

All of these work well with N140 or AA2230.

Established Poster
    Well guys iv just purchased a Sako 75 Hunter in .223 which is 1-8 twist and the previous owner was shooting Hornady v-max 40gr through it he said it loved them
    Last edited by foxer1; 21-03-2011 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by foxer1 View Post
    Well guys iv just purchased a Sako 75 Hunter in .223 which i assume is 1-8 twist ? and the previous owner was shooting Hornady v-max 40gr through it he said it loved them
    You need to know what twist really!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Established Poster
    Ok have checked it and corrected my earlier post to yep its definately 1-8 twist

Quote Originally Posted by foxer1 View Post
    Well guys iv just purchased a Sako 75 Hunter in .223 which is 1-8 twist and the previous owner was shooting Hornady v-max 40gr through it he said it loved them
    Really?
    Would've thought they were a bit short n' light to stabilise in a 1:8...

This twist thing is often misunderstood.

There's no problem stabilising short lightweight bullets (40 grain to 55 grain). Any twist rate from 1:8" to 1:14" will work with these.
    The problem is the high rotational force exerted on a fragile 'varmint-type' bullet by a 'very fast' twist barrel. This can be enough to make it break up in flight. Most of reloading manuals ....particularly Sierra #5 ... advise keeping the muzzle velocity down to say 2800 FPS if using a 1:8" or 1:9".

It's not the weight of a bullet that matters, but its' length and shape. You can use a 63-grain Sierra SMP in a .223 1:12".... or a .22-250 1:14" twist barrel..... but you can't use the long military 62gr boat-tail in either. This is almost twice as long, and will yaw all over the place and often hit the targetboard sideways... if it hits it at all.

So I read this post as asking for loads using 69 to 90 grain .224" target bullets, rather than sporting bullets. A 1:8" twist barrel on a sporter is a distinct handicap.

Established Poster
    I like you Sinistral alot but way to knoledgeable for me but i still like you lol

Thankyou for that Foxer1......I'm touched.

Would you like me even more if I knew nowt?

Only passing on what I've seen with my own peepers, and know to be true. One thing I do know is that there's no free lunch with most things, so it's best to tell it as it is

ATB