Thread: Questions about GWP?

Questions about GWP?

Hi

I'm planning on getting a gwp but had the fear of god shouted at me!

Just a few questions to those with them

Do they need vast amount of exercise each day, as in long runs?

Or just alot of interaction? I'm a lowland keeper and don't want it to be ranging miles. It will be out and about in the vehicle all day (not abandoned in a kennel) and get 2 30 min walks a day as standard. Plus I lamp 3-4 times a week accounting for 150+ foxes a year and stalk roe around 60 does and some bucks but should shoot more.

Will this be enough or do they need to run hard for hours each day?

Thanks

Hi DB
    My GWP is just 10 months old, The only problem I have with him is taking him with me as he gets travel sick. This means some days he has to be left in the Dog run (with company) for most of the day. However he gets a good walk out first thing with some training and plenty of running with the other dogs, and the same when I get back.
    He has an excellent temperament and although he will work all day if you let him he is not distressed in the run. I think the amount of work you have for yours is at the top of my wish list so you should not have any problems. Pick a pup from good stock and ignore the critics, any dog will be as good or as bad as the person training it lets it be.(there are a lot of experienced gwp trainers who will be happy to advise you on a training regime) I have not had mine near foxes yet but from what I have heard they are great for retrieving them.
    regards
    Sinbad
    P.S re your previous post mine is from the byrantscroft line, and is very biddable and I will be useing him for deer tracking, rough shooting and dogging in hedgerows mainly
    Last edited by sinbad; 19-03-2011 at 11:19. Reason: add on info

Quote Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
    Hi

I'm planning on getting a gwp but had the fear of god shouted at me!

Just a few questions to those with them

Do they need vast amount of exercise each day, as in long runs?

Or just alot of interaction? I'm a lowland keeper and don't want it to be ranging miles. It will be out and about in the vehicle all day (not abandoned in a kennel) and get 2 30 min walks a day as standard. Plus I lamp 3-4 times a week accounting for 150+ foxes a year and stalk roe around 60 does and some bucks but should shoot more.

Will this be enough or do they need to run hard for hours each day?

Thanks
    That all sounds fine, If you run a fit dog 20 miles a day all you end up with is a fitter and fitter dog! The enemy of HPRs is boredom. As long as it is getting out and about this shouldn't be a problem. JC

From what you say that exercise regime is fine, and thrive on interaction, obviously the exercise wil be built up and controlled, or you will end up with leg problems, they dnt need run hard for hrs,with a correct diet it will be fine, as you gain experience off the dog/breed, your confidence will also grow hence knowing what to do /and not do/just take time and buy from a reputable breeder, where you can see the sire/dam and both have the appropriate KC health checks,and be guided by the breeder if you have any probs, goodluck

In my family over the years we have always had Dalmatians or labradors. But last year we ended up with a five year rescue GWP. I have honestly never known a dog with so much energy. He loves being out doors, if he doesn't get enough exercise for what ever reason he can be noticeably restless, but after a while he goes in what I call shut down mode and takes himself to bed. He's well behaved, most of the time, and responds well to training, but the one thing I would change if I could would be to slow him down. If he's not at heal, he has to be flat out all the time, theres no in between. I think if your having him out and about all day, the dog will love it.

What you worried about , your other dogs arent stupid are they . If it turns out daft do the old "keeper has part trained dog for sale"

A lot depends on the type of GWP you choose, as mentioned Bryantscroft in the pedigree seems to add an element of sense to them compared to some that have a lot of imported blood that can be huge, hairy and very hard work. I've a bitch and she has been excellent, has been out lamping with me since I got her and now at 3 she just sleeps on the back seat of the truck until she hears a shot then is keen to go to play. Walks wise she does get about an hour in the morning but then I go to work and she pretty much sleeps all day. In your situation I think you would find one a very good ownership experience, they are very good company and laid back if you just get them to fit in with your routine. Mine would live in the truck given the chance always wants to be in it and never complains. In your line of work you may also be surprised with a dog that you can work on deer and that can be surprisingly handy beating and dogging in. Having a dog that doesn't instinctively run in and works steadily in the beating line is a bit of an eye opener.