Thread: Mount & rings for a Parker Hale Safari Deluxe

Mount & rings for a Parker Hale Safari Deluxe

All
    I am new to the stalking game, and have set off with the above gun, however my stalking mate thinks the scope is to near the mounting, touching, and had suggested changing to lift the scope (Bushnell trophy) away from the gun.
    I spoke to the lad who owns the local gun shop, who reckons it is not easy to get set ups for old guns.
    Sure one of you old hands in the game will have done this previous - any help/contacts greatly appreciated

i have bases and rings i will be around sunday i will let you know

http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/BaseFit_RingHght.pdf shows part no 50026 to fit a PH Mauser action. They fit my 1200 perfectly. Got them from theriflescopestore.com in the US as by the time I had added in the scope it was appreciably cheaper than the UK - and that was after VAT, import duty and shipping. It took about 3 weeks to come through. If the Bushnell is 400mm objective you'll need Medium rings - a 50mm scope needs High ones. The rear base of the Leopolds has windage screws to take any gross error in thread location fore or aft. Optics warehouse UK probably have them in stock too.

If it is only a small amount of 'touching' why not put a piece of negative film or tin from a coke can in the bottom half of the ring ?

You can easily pick up weaver bases for your rifle. If you stuck let me know and I'll dig out some links.

Thanks for all the help guys, I have managed to set the rifle up last night, but the packing in the mounts would be an easy quick win, I have a gap at present, but this must help.

Cheers & good sport to all

Quote Originally Posted by marrajack View Post
    All
    I am new to the stalking game, and have set off with the above gun, however my stalking mate thinks the scope is to near the mounting, touching, and had suggested changing to lift the scope (Bushnell trophy) away from the gun.
    I spoke to the lad who owns the local gun shop, who reckons it is not easy to get set ups for old guns.
    Sure one of you old hands in the game will have done this previous - any help/contacts greatly appreciated
    Sounds like a dealer trying his hand to sell a new rifle to me...... The mauser 98 action of the Parker-Hale must be about one of the easiest one to get mounts for

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

make sure you go back into the shop and tell the dealer what a load of **** he is talking. As BH says mauser 98 actions are very common and you can get pretty much any mounting system for them. I'd assume more options than remington, and certainbly rifle specific like Tikka/CZ
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling