Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feral pigs

Feral pigs

Hi all just gots some land for stalking and foxes . been talking to the farmer he has a neighbouring farmer with pigs that have gone ferrel . he as told me i can shoot them on his ground .they live in the woods on his land just wondering how i stand legally.i will phone the firearms department see what thay say just wondering?? they have allready eaten a field of beans Cheers Neil

They may have gone wild but they still belong to the original owner irrespective of whose land they are on. You will need the permission of the owner and landowner, and also the necessary authority on your certificate for stock destruction or what ever the FEO decides to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    They may have gone wild but they still belong to the original owner irrespective of whose land they are on. You will need the permission of the owner and landowner, and also the necessary authority on your certificate for stock destruction or what ever the FEO decides to call them.
    i have all live stock on my ticket as i am a slaughterman . so i need the owner of the pigs permission..

I would say so biglad but that's only a personal opinion based on reading such books as "Deer Law and Liabilities" by Charlie Parkes. Deer are regarded in law as being without owner and only become property when killed on someones land (in very simple terms - I stand to be corrected) but pigs would normally be regarded as property. Ask yourself would it be lawfull to shoot sheep or cows in a similar situation. As a slaughterman you seem to already have the necessary authority on your certificate so it's just a matter of resolving ownership of the pigs.

I would say so biglad but that's only a personal opinion based on reading such books as "Deer Law and Liabilities" by Charlie Parkes. Deer are regarded in law as being without owner and only become property when killed on someones land (in very simple terms - I stand to be corrected) but pigs would normally be regarded as property. Ask yourself would it be lawfull to shoot sheep or cows in a similar situation. As a slaughterman you seem to already have the necessary authority on your certificate so it's just a matter of resolving ownership of the pigs.
    Cheers mate will speek to the farmer agane and tell him i need the other farmers permissinon shoot them or tell him to round them up off his land and pen them up securely Cheers Neil

Here is a poser, I can understand the pigs being the property of the farmer originally, but were not the original wild boar being farmed and the property of a farmer before they were released or escaped or whatever. Now they are being shot, the same for wild goats, so when do these pigs cease to be property and start being wild? Would it be once no attempt is being made by the owner to get them back, or is it only litters that are born into the wild, how about never at all? What about the original farmers liability for damage caused by these rogue porkers of his?

Could cause a bit of head scratching
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Ownership of the original releasees could be legally proven by eartags, tattoos, chips etc. Progeny born outside of captivity or domesticity couldn't have ownership proven/traced in the same way, so can therefore be taken without reference to a third party, just the landowner on who's property they have taken up residence.

That's the answer I received from DEFRA some time ago.
    Last edited by Orion; 21-03-2011 at 17:34.

as i understand it where farmed boar are concerned they are often withour tags, and so ownership is hard to proove. Additionally does they guy want to admit he had escapees? That's not going to look good when he comes to renew his DWA license is it.

Are these common domestic pigs we are talking about or wild boar types (so called iron age pigs)?

Didn't I read some time last year that a Sheriff or what ever a judge is called in Scotland stated that there were no wild boar in Scotland only domestic pigs gone wild.

Are these common domestic pigs we are talking about or wild boar types (so called iron age pigs)?

Didn't I read some time last year that a Sheriff or what ever a judge is called in Scotland stated that there were no wild boar in Scotland only domestic pigs gone wild.
    Sorry I didn't sate they are common domestic pig left to roam all over the place