Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Demodex

  1. #1
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035

    Demodex

    Is demodex mite sometimes found on deer as well as dogs is it something we as stalkers can contract? and if so how do we get rid of it? also what safe guards should we use to minimise the risk of transference.

  2. #2
    I was get'n my D's mixed up there STU, think'n of DEXTROL.

    Silly Me!!! There Glucose tablets, but will I'm on that subject,

    they'd be great for you to SUCK !!!

    When your out and about, to give you that wee bit more sustenance.

    Rgds, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 20-03-2011 at 13:04.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"





  3. #3
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I wsa get'n my D's mixed up there STU, think'n of DEXTROL.

    Silly Me!!! There Glucose tablets, but will I'm on that subject,

    they'd be great for you to SUCK !!!

    When your out and about, to give you that wee bit more sustenance.

    Rgds, Buck.
    Personally I prefer sucking on those Clitoris Allsorts
    Rgds Stu

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Personally I prefer sucking on those Clitoris Allsorts
    Rgds Stu
    I can see your point, nice and soft. the dextrol would be a bit sore on the GUMS!!!

    Enough of this kidd'd back to your post.

    Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"





  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Is demodex mite sometimes found on deer as well as dogs is it something we as stalkers can contract? and if so how do we get rid of it? also what safe guards should we use to minimise the risk of transference.
    You don't need to worry. They are species specific. Most of us carry Demodex mites in our hair follicles anyway - especially your eyebrows. Your immune system keeps them in check. It is thought that something goes along and suppresses the immune system allowing the Demodex mites to multiply and cause problems [usually limited to a non-itchy baldness].

    If we find Demodex in a dog we will treat to kill the mite, but we usually ask the question 'what else is wrong here to allow this to happen'.

    Does that answer your question?

    Incidentally if you are shooting deer you suspect of having the mite then contact your vet who should be able to get some sampling done. We all have a responsibility to remain vigilant for new and emerging diseases. Your role as a trained hunter should include this responsibility. This sampling is often free of charge.

  6. #6
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    You don't need to worry. They are species specific. Most of us carry Demodex mites in our hair follicles anyway - especially your eyebrows. Your immune system keeps them in check. It is thought that something goes along and suppresses the immune system allowing the Demodex mites to multiply and cause problems [usually limited to a non-itchy baldness].

    If we find Demodex in a dog we will treat to kill the mite, but we usually ask the question 'what else is wrong here to allow this to happen'.

    Does that answer your question?

    Incidentally if you are shooting deer you suspect of having the mite then contact your vet who should be able to get some sampling done. We all have a responsibility to remain vigilant for new and
    emerging diseases. Your role as a trained hunter should include this responsibility. This sampling is often free of charge.
    Yes it answers my initial question, but can I quote you on that there is no charge for test samples on suspected Demodex in deer? Also where does this information end up?
    So what are the likely causes of Demodex mange in deer?
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 20-03-2011 at 14:12.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Yes it answers my initial question, but can I quote you on that there is no charge for test samples on suspected Demodex in deer?
    As I said on the other thread, I was involved in some sampling for Demodex in deer. The Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA) at Thirsk were interested. The lab definitely did not charge us anything for their work, and I don't think we charged the client anything for putting a bit of deer skin in a pot of formalin and posting it. All samples sent their are supposed to go through a vet practice, rather than you dealing with them directly.

    The VLA is government funded and has as part of its remit to look for new and emerging diseases. I was a little coy with the addition of the word 'often' to cover myself!

  8. #8
    The VLA is government funded and has as part of its remit to look for new and emerging diseases.

    Sadly under threat due to reorganisation. VLA are a world class resource that we will sorely miss.

  9. #9
    I haven't been charged for any work done, I now just bag up the ears if I suspect it and take a faecal sample and send it away. As I understand it, the more work the VLA get the more funding they get so they are keen to help and it's all for free.

Similar Threads

  1. Demodex in Roe
    By Benc in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 20:42
  2. Demodex in Deer causing hair loss
    By Dorsetvetstudent in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •