SD Deer Dog Register?

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
I've picked this up from another thread (Runners!!!!!!) and thought it deserved discussion in its own right.

By way of an example of how this *might* work I have added some extra profile fields which you can fill in on your profile here:

Edit Profile

It is then displayed on your profile page that you have a dog available and how far you are willing to range. I've added a postcode field which is visible only to yourself as in the future it should be possible to add functionality to calculate distances.

You can also search the member list to find those members who have dogs available.

Search Memberlist (Just choose Deer Dog: yes and click Search)

Before going too far down this road it would be very useful to know if the fields I've added are the right fields, whether they are useful and whether any more are required before we get people to start filling it all in.

Once the bare bones are there (the data) we can build on it with searching, distances etc.

Alex

Looks like a good set of fields to give a travelling stalker a rough idea if help is on hand nearby. Perhaps a 'times available' field might be a good idea, for instance if someone regulary works 9-5 chances are they won't be available? Also a function for getting in touch with the dog man other than a stalking directory PM?

Just a few thought?

Tom

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there was consideration given to a register before. The problem stemmed from how to contact the handler. No problem putting on profile the availability of your dog but posting a contact telephone number on an open forum??
Perhaps there could be a way around this by stalkers directly contacting handlers in their proposed stalking area before they go and obtaining contact details just in case.

Perhaps it may be frugal if in the information it indicated if there was a charge and if so how much before a commitment to engage a fellow stalker with a deer search dog.

Regards
Stu

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there was consideration given to a register before. The problem stemmed from how to contact the handler. No problem putting on profile the availability of your dog but posting a contact telephone number on an open forum??
Perhaps there could be a way around this by stalkers directly contacting handlers in their proposed stalking area before they go and obtaining contact details just in case.
Thats a good idea Gazza preferably by P.M where no such information is disclosed publicly on an open forum if those willing on the list its easy to contact them by areas alone

There is the possibility of recording a mobile number for willing participants which remains private and the site could text them. That would be for the future though as it isn't a simple 10 minute setup!

I think just now if we could agree what data to collect it would be a good start. The facility is there then for you to find and maybe make contact with members in your area beforehand.

Once we have the data the rest can follow.

Perhaps it may be frugal if in the information it indicated if there was a charge and if so how much before a commitment to engage a fellow stalker with a deer search dog.

Regards
Stu

Field added.

Also an extra info field for any other requirements/restrictions

two things

1 could you have a regional contact with the numbers of poeple with dogs

2 the cost issue might be one of fuel (given the high price) i think it would be fair to cover the cost

Updated. Warning can be a grumpy B if woken from slumbers but will be fine by the time I get there.

This is a Great Idea you've come up with Alex. I would like to wish you and any of the Lads who participate

ALL THE VERY BEST IN THE FUTURE. :thumb:

Rgds, Buck.

This is a Great Idea you've come up with Alex. I would like to wish you and any of the Lads who participate

ALL THE VERY BEST IN THE FUTURE. :thumb:

Rgds, Buck.

Thanks Buck but it wasn't my idea, the guys in the other thread started it off. It just occurred to me that the software we run on this site already lends itself to setting up the bare bones of it very easily.

I had some serious reservations when the concept of a 'Tracking Directory' was aired by Sporting Rifle nearly a year ago - did it ever get off the ground?

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?11075-New-Sporting-Rifle-tracking-directory

My main concerns were relating to security and insurance, but I'm reassured by the insurance cover I have through SACS, and if Alex can set something up to ensure that home address/'phone number etc. is not available to anyone who might be trawling the web with a less than honest intent, then I'm interested.

Could I suggest that the database might contain a rough location and radius of cover, brief details of dog/handler experience, and, quite importantly as Stu has pointed out, if there was the expectation of a payment or at least any out of pocket expenses being covered. Personally, I'd view it as helping a conscientious stalker out of a problem, and it's another period out in the fresh air doing what I enjoy, but having a contribution towards fuel would help what with the price of the stuff these days!

Would it be advisable to split the database into a 'by county' or regional listing, so that stalkers wouldn't have to search too much to locate a handler in their area?

EDIT: Ooops - I see that Alex has already incorporated most of the info into the profile change. :oops: How about a stickie at the top of the 'Deer Dogs' section with instructions on how stalkers can contact willing handlers?

Last edited:
Thanks Buck but it wasn't my idea, the guys in the other thread started it off. It just occurred to me that the software we run on this site already lends itself to setting up the bare bones of it very easily.

Well thanks to the GUYS then Alex.

Rgds, Buck.

PS And not forget'n a big thank you to ALEX AND THE SITES SOFTWARE :D

Rgds, Buck.

PS,

Profile updated, Stu, if you ever need my dog just contact me it would be a pleasure to help you out.

ATB

Tahr

Profile updated, Stu, if you ever need my dog just contact me it would be a pleasure to help you out.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks for that Kevin.
I have your old number somewhere but would appreciate you sending it me again, P.M it for security reasons
Stu

Back