Thread: Can anyone help identifythis old action

Can anyone help identifythis old action

I inherited this old action in 7mm mauser. I know it has been shot out and don't have any use for it so I was going to get it destroyed buta mate warned me it might be worth something for the action, Any ideas please.

It is marked a a FN and has Fab Nat D'armes hermes belgium and the left hand side of the receiver. I know it had a saftey fitted in the early 60s by parker hale but beyond that I know nothing about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 043.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	5557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 046.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	5558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 044.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	5559

The photographs are a bit fuzzy but I would hazard a guess and say it is a Fabrique Nationale (probably K98) mauser action. Fabrique Nationale or F.N. are based in Herstal (Leige - Belgium) and are one of the most famous gunmakers in the world, most people know them as Browning. If a K98 it would be worth keeping the action and building a rifle on it.

A mate of mine had a 270 on a FN action cost him 2700, OK it had nice wood and a set trigger but you get the idea.

ATB

Tahr

It looks to be a commercial FN Mauser 98 action. As it stands, it would not be worth all that much. However, a rifle builder may have some interest in it for a build, provided he's got a customer that wants a rifle built on a classic action. The down side is that most people that want a custom rifle these days want it on a blueprinted Remington action, or maybe something like an RPA.
    The last auction I went to had a couple of Mauser actions go for about 40 each (un-barreled).
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

SD Regular
    Your pictures were a bit out of cocus but it is a commercial FN action that has been drilled and tapped both for side mount and top mount.

Now if you have a mount that fits you have saved yourself 60! But as you probabaly won't want both a side mount and a top mount (although you never know) you will have one set of holes to fill in! And that will probably cost the same amount to do well. So you are "evens" on the work!

But the action is of the very best quality and the bent bolt is desirable that is certain. I am certainly looking for EXACTLY that to do something with with a 280 Remington barrel - Made in Belgium in the 1960s too oddly - I have.

If you would like a price on it please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Your pictures were a bit out of cocus but it is a commercial FN action that has been drilled and tapped both for side mount and top mount.

Now if you have a mount that fits you have saved yourself 60! But as you probabaly won't want both a side mount and a top mount (although you never know) you will have one set of holes to fill in! And that will probably cost the same amount to do well. So you are "evens" on the work!

But the action is of the very best quality and the bent bolt is desirable that is certain. I am certainly looking for EXACTLY that to do something with with a 280 Remington barrel - Made in Belgium in the 1960s too oddly - I have.

If you would like a price on it please PM me!
    See? It's always worth asking.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Definatly a FN commercial action, I've got one that virtually identical to the one in the picture, they are strong actions and if it tight worth hanging onto if you want's to build a rifle. Mines currently with a gunsmith as I'm using it to build a .308 rifle on. The triggers on the old FN are very good.