Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many visits

how many visits

I am about to join my first syndicate and would like to know your views on how many visits to the ground would you deem an acceptable amount

It Is 1500 acres and I live no more than 20 minutes away the other guns on the other hand stay at least an hour or three away.

Is It ok to go a couple of times a week even If I`m not shooting and just out for a look around with the bino`s?

Your thoughts please.

This depends on what you do when you are there. If you are going to be a pest and walk all over the ground causeing major disturbance then no its not if you are going to take a small area and stalk deer in it and learn it then why not but make sure you have respect for the other members. If you are out 5 times a week on a large area then there should be no problem i only cover about 50 acres when i go out so your ground would take me 30 outtings just to cover it once.

Maybe best to talk to the other members and see how they feel and what they are happy with, I know my worry would be by the time I get out for a shot if a guy was on 2-3 times a week a month before I got out that I'd have a much lesser chance of connecting. But that's just how people might feel. 1500 a decent size.

ps
    good luck

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dc5 View Post
    I am about to join my first syndicate and would like to know your views on how many visits to the ground would you deem an acceptable amount

It Is 1500 acres and I live no more than 20 minutes away the other guns on the other hand stay at least an hour or three away.

Your thoughts please.

May I suggest a meet with the rest of the guys in the syndicate and agree some form of rota and time scale of visits to the stalking lease, doing so may be beneficial to all parties concerned incl yourself.

Usually a shoot captain is nominated wheras the rest of the syndication members contact him as if you dont you could turn up on the lease/syndicate and find your not alone, which would be dangerous for you and any other person who should be out stalking.

Regards
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 20-03-2011 at 19:50.

Hi

I would say get out as often as you can if your new to that patch of ground you need to know where the deer are, like you say just take the bino's sometimes and get to know the area boundries footway's etc if you have a cull plan just stick to your share of the cull then the other syndicate members can't complain

375 mag

I guess in terms of shooting then you will know what the cull figure is and you should expect to shoot your share of it. So if there are 5 in the syndicate and the cull is 50 deer then you might expect to shoot 10 deer in the year. If you've shot 5 in the first week then I suspect the others might become somewhat uncomfortable with the situation.

On a positive side having someone on the ground a lot is, in my view, a really good thing as it means someone is looking out for poachers and other dodgy activity and also there is someone local who knows where the deer are moving and what the conditions are like. So, other members who live miles away can give you a bell and ask for pointers so they can get into deer even on "strange" ground.

Also you can be more relaxed with your stalking in that if someone has taken a few days off work and has booked into a hotel etc. to stalk for a few days then you can avoid the ground during that time on the basis that you can drop down any evening. You may also find that you can help make up the doe/hind cull if other members are more interested in a trophy for the wall.

So, all told if you are reasonable and fair in your dealings with everyone then I think your being nearby might be a positive thing.

Cheers guys, the guy that runs the syndicate prefers there to be only shooter out at a time.

As I said I live locally and the other 4 guns are a fair bit away so the ground does not get visited that much by them.

At the end of the day I can`t help It If they live miles away and can only get there once In a blue moon.

I`ll speak to the guy In charge tomorrow and clear up a few things first.

qq
    Last edited by 6pointer; 24-03-2011 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Why is there only to be one on at a time are you not safe 1500 aces is massive.
    One Is preferred but he did say there could be more as long as everyone calls In to let each person know there whereabouts.

Account Suspended
    Simple really if more than one rifle on a patch if a pre plan of area to be covered is agreed by each party concerned it make it safer where all sector shooting angles are concerned and also makes it so your not going to stalk onto your mates area inadventetly possibly spoiling a long stalk by your mate.