Thread: New member

Hi,
    I live in Germany and hold a German Hunting Licence. Prior to this I spent almost 40 years in New Zealand (where I was born) and hunted actively there as well.
    I have just purchased a Kimber 300WSM and am very keen to get back into stalking and would love to get some good contacts for red deer in Scotland. I am looking for a suppresor (Ase Utra S5) to mount on my Kimber for Scotland and would like to hear from anyone who can help, (Suppresors are very hard to get here as their use is illegal, or rather so heavily regulated that they are nigh on impossible to get).
    Here, my hunting is restricted to high stands on small blocks and a couple of invites to driven hunts, predominantly for wild pigs.
    My work commitments, (especially in autumn), unfortunately restrict my hunting possibilities. I work as an estate manager on a wine estate in the south of Germany.
    Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site, I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out with regards Red deer in Scotland, but perhaps it's best if you make a new post in the "Deer Stalking Opportunities" section.

Looking forward to your contributions on the forum.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by chrislintz View Post
    Hi,
    I live in Germany and hold a German Hunting Licence. Prior to this I spent almost 40 years in New Zealand (where I was born) and hunted actively there as well.
    I have just purchased a Kimber 300WSM and am very keen to get back into stalking and would love to get some good contacts for red deer in Scotland. I am looking for a suppresor (Ase Utra S5) to mount on my Kimber for Scotland and would like to hear from anyone who can help, (Suppresors are very hard to get here as their use is illegal, or rather so heavily regulated that they are nigh on impossible to get).
    Here, my hunting is restricted to high stands on small blocks and a couple of invites to driven hunts, predominantly for wild pigs.
    My work commitments, (especially in autumn), unfortunately restrict my hunting possibilities. I work as an estate manager on a wine estate in the south of Germany.
    Cheers, Chris.
    hi Chris,

I'm a fellow kiwi living in the UK. Where are you from in NZ?

I borrowed a 7mm WSM Kimber montana synthetic from a kiwi PH for thar and chamois last Aug at Fox Glacier. Good rifle, especially weight wise, hiking up those bloody mountains!

I assume you want a suppressor for hunting in the UK? I imagine you could purchase one here relatively easily, but is your Kimber screw cut?

What sort of red deer stalking do you want to do in scotland? Hind culls? red stag rut? Trophy animals or not? Open hill or woodland? also comes down to what you're prepared to pay?

Lots of guys on here can advise you, but you will need to be a bit more specific about what you are looking for?

cheers
    Paul

Thanks Jonathan, will follow your advice. Cheers, Chris.

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. I came from Lower Hutt, Uni in Wellington and the last 10 years in the Wairarapa (Martinborough).

The Kimber was the most obvious choice because of the weight. There have been some rumours about the stability of the Blaser R93 bolt system so that or the R8 is something I wasn't keen on in the bigger calibres, (I also have an F3 and a D99 so I am a supporter of the brand). Other possibilities where either too heavy (like the Mauser M03) or ridiculously expensive like the Mountain Rifle from Johannsen (10,800 Euro! - get a life!). The other option in regards to a lightweight rifle was single barrel break action like the Blaser K95, but I really wanted a bolt action.

My Kimber is actually still in NZ, it was going to get flown out straight after the Chch earthquake, so arrival has been a little postphoned. It needs to get german proofing stamps before I can register the firearm (or use it) and was going to get the barrel shortened (to around 56cm) and fluted (if possible, but may not be because of the barrel thickness) and the trigger reworked prior to stamping. That would be an ideal time to get a thread cut for the moderator as well.

As far as hunting in Scotland goes I will post on the appropriate forum later as I probably won't be able to get away until 2012.

Great to hear from you,

Cheers, Chris.