Thread: Selling Venison to the Public.

Selling Venison to the Public.

What laws cover the sale of venison at a farmer's market? I currently either sell my roe carcases to a game dealer or have them jointed and vacuum packed by a local butcher for my own consumption.
    Could I sell these vac-packed joints to the public? I assume I'd need to be a licensed game dealer, but don't know what is required to become one. What environmental health regulations would apply to me if all the cutting and packing was done by a professional butcher at his own premises?
    I visited 2 local farmers markets on Saturday, and there wasn't anyone selling venison at either of them, which surprised me as there seems to be a reasonable demand at the moment.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 21-03-2011 at 16:18.

I can't see any problem-if the carcass was inspected by a trained hunter, a butcher has packaged the meat then as I understand it you will only have to maintain the cold chain to the point of sale. You would have to register as a food business but as there is no processing at your end it would be low risk and no inspection would be needed (just a paperwork exercise). I used to do this with crayfish and never had any problems although I am not a font of knowledge on food regs so may be corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    I can't see any problem-if the carcass was inspected by a trained hunter, a butcher has packaged the meat then as I understand it you will only have to maintain the cold chain to the point of sale. You would have to register as a food business but as there is no processing at your end it would be low risk and no inspection would be needed (just a paperwork exercise). I used to do this with crayfish and never had any problems although I am not a font of knowledge on food regs so may be corrected!
    As soon as you remove the jacket you become a meat processor and when it comes off [the jacket] you get a whole world of legislation that comes with it. But like Benc I'm not an expert but I think I'm right. I looked into it sometime ago and it was too much to be bothered with as people wanted them supplied skinned. If you do a search MR68, I think Willie Gunn put up a good post or was it Monkey Spanker, one of them anyway and it gave you chapter a verse.

ATB

RF

We supply the general public with game . We process all our game and are registered with the council. PM me if you have any questions and I will tell you what I know . What I can tell you is its not that difficult if you follow the rules.

Mark

What Mark says states it all.

Not difficult if you "follow" the rules.

Stan

Get in touch with your local council, they are very helpful, they will advise what criteria you have to meet.
    However, will you be shooting enough to satisfy a farmers market stall?
    Most punters require fresh venison, so you would have to ensure you shoot enough deer before the date of the market, as we all know, deer don't play by our rules!
    Same problem supplying pubs/restaurants, they usually require the prime cuts, not many of those on a roe.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    What laws cover the sale of venison at a farmer's market? I currently either sell my roe carcases to a game dealer or have them jointed and vacuum packed by a local butcher for my own consumption.
    Could I sell these vac-packed joints to the public? I assume I'd need to be a licensed game dealer, but don't know what is required to become one. What environmental health regulations would apply to me if all the cutting and packing was done by a professional butcher at his own premises?
    I visited 2 local farmers markets on Saturday, and there wasn't anyone selling venison at either of them, which surprised me as there seems to be a reasonable demand at the moment.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...dgameguide.pdf

Selling at farmers markets will come with it's on problems IE transportation ,refrigeration etc ,the above will give you the current requirement under the hunters exemption .

Thanks for the responses, they're appreciated. I'll read through the links later today and also contact my local council.