Steyr SSG PI, SSG P11 or Elite ?

belowaverageiq

Hi all and thanks in advance,
I am currently looking at purchasing one of the following rifles;
A brand new SSG PI in .308 or
a very well looked after SSG PII again in .308 or
a like new Elite in .308.

A mate of mine has both the PII and the Elite, both of which are in excellent condition.

I have other rifles for both target and varminting use so this new rifle would be used for a minor bit of informal target work and varmint but mainly for deer stalking.
I am leaning towards the PII but i am considering chopping the barrell down to either 20'' or 22'' and fitting a moderator.

and advice would be most welcome..

Mark​

Hi, I have owned a SSG in .308 ever since they banned semi auto rifles and I am delighted with it. Can I suggest you check out shortning the barrel with Steyr. My SSG has a very slight restriction in the barrel close to the muzzle. I believe that this a feature of these rifles. Cutting down the barrel might remove this and might affect accuracy. BUT I aint no expert!!

No real difference between a PI and PII. But a completely different animal to the Elite.

It really depends upon what type of stalking you do. I have one and by the time you add the scope and moderator (what with the heavy chrome lined barrel), i wouldn't want to carry it up and down hills all day.

Also, get a light moderator as it gets very nose heavy.

011.jpg

I have 2 ssg`s 308,243. I shortened the barrel on the 308 down to 18 inches and it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with factory ammo all day long. Wish I homeloaded to see what I could get out of it?

Back