Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready for DSC2 ?????

Ready for DSC2 ?????

I'm thinking of doing the DSC2, but I know I'm not quite ready yet...Im ok with the stalk, safety, shot placement etc but still not 100% with naming all the glands during the gralloch.
    So if anyone has a good way of remebering them it would be appreciated.

Also from guys who have done the dsc2 before what type of experience had you before doing it i.e number of deer shot, years experience of deer, number of gralloch's etc..

Well here is a way i get chaps to remeber one Mesenteric is found in the Bell area and if you get this one wrong you will get in a right Mess.

SUBMAXILLARY THIS ONE IS JUST BELOW THE SURFACE SUB
    Last edited by 6pointer; 22-03-2011 at 16:17.

Simon

There isn't a standard answer to whether or not you are ready to proceed with this. I suggest you identify an AW local to you and discuss the matter face-to-face, he will also outline what his expectations are in terms of identifying lymph nodes. My father had over 60 years stalking experience before doing his DSC II, I suggest you don't wait quite that long.

Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by simon t View Post
    still not 100% with naming all the glands during the gralloch.
    So if anyone has a good way of remebering them it would be appreciated.

Willie_gunn's way of remembering helped me a lot.

The best I could come up with was:

Stalking Roe Bucks Makes People Mad

Meaning, of course

Submaxillary - under the mouth
    Retropharyngeal - back of throat
    Bronchial - windpipe
    Mediastinal - middle of lungs
    Portal - near the liver
    Mesenteric - on the intestines

I'm sure other people can think of better mnemonics than mine (aha, a new competition!). and yes, I know it's only six words to remember.

For all their supposed faults, the DCS has a very good Best Practice section on this at http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...s_inspect.aspx and http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...inspect02.aspx
    but sadly these weren't around when I did my DSC2.

willie_gunn

Stalking Roe Bucks Makes People Mad

I like that, anymore

You dont have to remember them all. You have to find them all, that's it.
    Anyone asking you "Which one of these is Retropharyngeal" is a bad AW.

Greg

This is where more knowledge of anatomy helps - the names are purely descriptive of their location.

Submandibular [submaxillary is very old terminology] - under the mandible - which is the correct name for the lower jaw
    Retropharyngeal - The pharynx is the back of the throat - think what pharyngitis affects!
    Bronchial - The bronchus is the larger airway in the lung - what the trachea [windpipe] splits into.
    Mediastinal - middle of lungs,
    Portal - The hepatic portal vein takes blood from the intestines to the liver
    Mesenteric - the sheet of tissue that suspends and nourishes the jejunum [small intestine] is called the mesentry - the mesenteric LN's located relative to that.

As I read back what I have typed I fear I may have confused the issue rather than helped.

Maybe its just me but I can never find the Bronchial, Retropharyngeal was tricky (i.e impossible) to find aswell until I watched the BDS gralloching DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Maybe its just me but I can never find the Bronchial, Retropharyngeal was tricky (i.e impossible) to find aswell until I watched the BDS gralloching DVD.
    Would have thought them being small and hard to find was a good sign; if they were up like golf balls on the other hand....

I've read this thread with some interest. I've completed my level 1 (just) and have been pondering how to go about getting DSC 2.
    My motivation is simply that I like to learn stuff and if this opens doors for more stalking then it is a good thing for me.

However, I thought the idea behind the l2 is that you get someone who can mentor you and teach you stuff.
    I didn't think the expectation was that you'd pitch up day one knowing everything, or am I off piste?

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Would have thought them being small and hard to find was a good sign; if they were up like golf balls on the other hand....

I've read this thread with some interest. I've completed my level 1 (just) and have been pondering how to go about getting DSC 2.
    My motivation is simply that I like to learn stuff and if this opens doors for more stalking then it is a good thing for me.

However, I thought the idea behind the l2 is that you get someone who can mentor you and teach you stuff.
    I didn't think the expectation was that you'd pitch up day one knowing everything, or am I off piste?
    The completion of the DSC2 portfolio is the evidence gathering and assessment part of the process. The learning and experience gaining must come first, long before you register for DSC2.

I would have thought that any candidates who are considering undertaking DSC2 should already have the knowledge and experience to name, locate and assess those lymph glands that are routinely checked during gralloching and lardering. This is basic stuff and should have been taught on any DSC1 course.

I don't mean to sound critical or pompus but, in answer to your question, yes, you should pitch up to your first assessed stalk knowing this sort of thing.

I do apprecieate that it is sometimes hard to gain experience especially if you are stalking infrequently or having to pay for each stalk, but no-one said it was easy.

I so wish that rather than levels 'one' and 'two', the words 'Basic' and 'Advanced' had been used, people would then have a clearer idea of the standards required.

JC