Thread: Starting out reloading

Starting out reloading

If i was to choose this path, what do i need?
    I mean a list of the entire kit needed to load my own rounds.

TIA

Spoony,

I got the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit and I'm very happy with it.

I upgraded the balance beam scales to some electric ones, but the kit will do everything you need to get started.

Here's a link to the kit on the Lee Reloading website:
    http://leeprecision.com/xcart/50th-A...enger-Kit.html

Here's a link to the kit on YouTube:

There is also a very good article written by csl here on the forum going through the whole process:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...o-Loaded-Round
    Last edited by Jonher; 22-03-2011 at 21:08.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

can anyone recommend a good book about starting to reload the basics etc etc
    TIA

Get "Modern Reloading, Vol. Two" by Richard Lee. It will teach you everything you need to know about reloading and provide a wealth of info on powder densities, calculating reduced loads, pressure calculations, and more. I have a hundred manuals of all kinds but the Lee gets 99% of my attention. Reading the first 30-40 pages will explain the procedures and the science of reloading. The volumes of loading data is almost a bonus.~Muir

There are a million things, costing an arm and a leg each, you can buy but I would suggest that you work your way slowly into reloading and buy what you find you need. When people post asking this question I always post the following photo of the sum total (minus a press and powder funnel) of what I use to reload. I'm not saying it can't be done for less and I'm not saying that this will suit you but it will give you some guidance and hopefully highlight that you really, really don't need a big pile of stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    There are a million things, costing an arm and a leg each, you can buy but I would suggest that you work your way slowly into reloading and buy what you find you need. When people post asking this question I always post the following photo of the sum total (minus a press and powder funnel) of what I use to reload. I'm not saying it can't be done for less and I'm not saying that this will suit you but it will give you some guidance and hopefully highlight that you really, really don't need a big pile of stuff:

Thats great cheers for that any chance of naming the parts listed so a can put a name to the part so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Spoony,

I got the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit and I'm very happy with it.

I upgraded the balance beam scales to some electric ones, but the kit will do everything you need to get started.

Here's a link to the kit on the Lee Reloading website:
    http://leeprecision.com/xcart/50th-A...enger-Kit.html

Here's a link to the kit on YouTube:

There is also a very good article written by csl here on the forum going through the whole process:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...o-Loaded-Round
    +1 on that you wont go far wrong for the money as a starter kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Thats great cheers for that any chance of naming the parts listed so a can put a name to the part so to speak
    I will try my best, I'm not much into branding and in general some stuff is a little better than others but almost all will do your job:

Top left - full length sizing die - go for any reasonably well known brand and you will do well though at the minute I'm just neck sizing using a Lee neck sizing die which you can buy as part of their delux die set at very reasonable money. However you can get by with just full length sizing for a while which is what I did.

Scales - this is the Lee version which some people hate and which works just fine for me, not expensive at all.

Top right - powder trickler - you might get away without one of these but they do make the job a little easier. I just use a teaspoon to spoon approx the right amount of powder into the scale and then use the trickler to come up to the correct weight - primitive maybe but works for me.

Left centre/bottom - Lee hand priming tool for priming cases. Haven't used any other make but this one works just fine though if I were loading hundreds of cases at a time I might look for something a little more efficient.

Middle to left of cartridge case - primer pocket cleaner - the pockets do get a build up of dirt/carbon in them and it seems to make sense to clean them out before seating a new primer. You might get away without this but I'd suspect the primers would eventually not seat well or sit proud so a worthwhile investment I think.

308 case - I have more than one, honest, but in there for scale

right of case - case neck deburr device - when you trim the cases to length there can be a bit of a burr on the newly cut surface and so I use this to remove the burr from the inside and outside of the case to make bullet seating easier.

Below cartridge case - Lee case trimming device - basically you chuck the shell holder into a cordless drill or screwdriver and then insert the pilot and cutter (the thing on the right of the shell holder) into the case and this trims all your cases to the same safe length. Looks simple, doesn't cost much, produces cases of the same length every time. It is necessary and important for safety to do this so you need something for this job.

Calipers - cheap Chinese ones with a digital read out as my eyes are getting old and reduces the chances of making a mistake reading off the figures. Don't buy a reloading brand set or pay more than 15 - 20 as you can get decent and servicable ones from most big engineering/electronics type suppliers at this sort of money. Try Maplin, RS, Farnell or CPC or a local hardware shop.

Right bottom - think this is a bullet seating die and you will need one but again I think the Lee delux die set comes with one.