Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 6.5X55?

Which 6.5X55?

Hi Guy's
    I've just got a 6.5X55 put on my ticket. So which make do I get? The more I read the more I'm unsure. My other gun is a CZ550 243, after a bit of fiddling I'm reasonably happy with it. I do want a free floating barrel and a stock/fore end that will not wobble with a bi pod. Not laminate.

Any thoughts on barrel length and twist verses velocity would be welcome as I'm not to sure I understand that too well.

I'm willing to spend circa 800 on the rifle.

So if it was your dosh what would you buy?

Pitnie

Quote Originally Posted by pitnie View Post
    Hi Guy's
    I've just got a 6.5X55 put on my ticket. So which make do I get? The more I read the more I'm unsure. My other gun is a CZ550 243, after a bit of fiddling I'm reasonably happy with it. I do want a free floating barrel and a stock/fore end that will not wobble with a bi pod. Not laminate.

Any thoughts on barrel length and twist verses velocity would be welcome as I'm not to sure I understand that too well.

I'm willing to spend circa 800 on the rifle.

So if it was your dosh what would you buy?

Pitnie
    With that budget, I'd go for a 2nd hand Sauer 202. I may be biased though
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    With that budget, I'd go for a 2nd hand Sauer 202. I may be biased though
    Or a Tikka T3 Hunter

This is my dilema, is a 2nd hand Sauer is better than a new Howa? If it was a shot gun no worries but I'm really unsure on Rifle manufactures.

Yes a 2nd Hand Sauer is much better than a new Howa. I have both, the 2nd hand Sauer I gave $2000 USD for with 2 barrel 308 and 9.3x62.

I don't like the factory Howa stocks, and with Sauer you have about 30 choices in stocks if you don't like the one that is one it. Howa has quite a few stocks, and you could have Pete Lincoln from Roedale sex it up for you.

I will say up front that i have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and would recommend it/them to anyone.

Any decent rifle, like a Sako or a Tikka (or a Blaser etc) in a very moderately pressured calibre like the 6.5x55 will have a barrel life of many, many thousands of rounds (possibly tens of thousands) before accuracy will suffer. So if you buy a decent Sako 75 / Tikka that has been well looked after it will serve you well for many years. I mention these two in particular as they leave the factory with an accuracy guarantee of producing 1" groups or better with factory ammunition, and they are readily available second-hand.

If you wanted to spend a little more money you can find the odd Blaser in 6.5x55 second-hand for 1,400/ish.

I honestly believe that buying a second-hand decent quality rifle the first purchaser has taken the biggest price drop, and it will allow you to spend more money on the most important pieces of equipment, your rifle-scope and binoculars.

Good hunting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reloads!.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	5615This is what a Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55 will do!
    Simon

Edit; Most 6.5x55's seem to be 1 in 8" to 1 in 9", mine is 1 in 8".
    Last edited by flytie; 22-03-2011 at 22:06.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I will say up front that i have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and would recommend it/them to anyone.

Any decent rifle, like a Sako or a Tikka (or a Blaser etc) in a very moderately pressured calibre like the 6.5x55 will have a barrel life of many, many thousands of rounds (possibly tens of thousands) before accuracy will suffer. So if you buy a decent Sako 75 / Tikka that has been well looked after it will serve you well for many years. I mention these two in particular as they leave the factory with an accuracy guarantee of producing 1" groups or better with factory ammunition, and they are readily available second-hand.

If you wanted to spend a little more money you can find the odd Blaser in 6.5x55 second-hand for 1,400/ish.

I honestly believe that buying a second-hand decent quality rifle the first purchaser has taken the biggest price drop, and it will allow you to spend more money on the most important pieces of equipment, your rifle-scope and binoculars.

Good hunting.

SimonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Reloads!.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	5615This is what a Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55 will do!
    Id agree with Simon. Ive recently bought the 6.5 x 55. If I was buying new id have bought a Sako. I managed to get an excellent deal on used (less that 200 rounds) a Steyr pro Hunter. yes it has a palstic stock and yes its stock is wobbly at the forend but it shoots awesome and was a real bargain. But new Id have bought the SAKO. Good luck with it, you really wont be dissapointed, its a great round.

Macleods have a Sako AV, is that an oldser model?

I have a sako 85 stainless 6.5x55 and had the 75 version before that.
    Both very accurate rifles with and without a bipod.
    They have a 1 in 8 twist which is supposed to be best with heavier bullets but mine will shoot 85 grain sierras as good as the 140s.

Quote Originally Posted by pitnie View Post
    Macleods have a Sako AV, is that an oldser model?
    Pitnie, from what i can quickly see on the internet the AV was made in 1979/1980, so you would have to have a word with Gregor Macleod to see what the condition is, does it have rings/scope etc. The early Sako's are highly regarded by some.

There is a nice stainless synthetic 75 on guntrader advertised for 750, and another rebarrelled by Norman Clark that would be well worth a look as he does very good work.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.