Thread: Tikka T3 in 17 Remington

Tikka T3 in 17 Remington

A friend has a Tikka T3 in 223 that he isn't liking and offered it to me for a good price. I was thinking about a new barrel and a laminate stock in 17 Remington or Fireball.

What are you thoughts?

Hello alaska i have a cz 17 rem with a 6x24x56 zeiss scope and it is a great bit of kit if you buy it you will not be disapointed

Mark

Hi Alaska.
    If you didnt already buy your 204 you could build a nice one with a 1 in 11 twist barrel on that action.
    Im shooting a 204 for the last 5 or 6 years and they are great.

Palo,

Yep sounds like a good idea. I am taking that to mean that you have had excellent luck on the 204? Any skin damage on fox?

Trying to have as little skin damage as possible. I had a friend that built a 204-250 Ackley Improved on a Remington M700 for shooting coyotes at long range in Utah.

204 would be a good fox fixer. Just don't know about the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    Palo,

Yep sounds like a good idea. I am taking that to mean that you have had excellent luck on the 204? Any skin damage on fox?

Trying to have as little skin damage as possible. I had a friend that built a 204-250 Ackley Improved on a Remington M700 for shooting coyotes at long range in Utah.

204 would be a good fox fixer. Just don't know about the damage.
    I am shooting the 39 grain sierras at about 3800 fps so if you hit bone you will get some damage.
    The 35 grain bergers would probably be better for you.
    We are not concerned with skin damage over here we just want something to drop them fast and the 204 will do that.

What makes you think that a .223 will inflict more pelt damage than .17 Rem or a .204 Ruger?

Do you believe the lesser calibres won't exit .... or is there another reason? We're not used to the idea of fur hunting in the UK. Forgive me if the answer should be obvious.

I'm only saying this because you won't have anything like as wide a choice in .177 or .204 bullets as you have in the original .224 calibre (like FMJ, etc.).

Well I know it will. I have shot tons of coyotes, African Wildcats, Bat Eared Foxes, and African skunks with the 223, everytime I wish I had a bigger caliber with a tougher bullet or a smaller caliber with either a very tough bullet or a very frangable bullet.

The 17s don't make much of a mess of fur. I have not used the 204 on anything, and am anxious to try it. A mate of mine here has one, and has good success at whacking kangaroos with it. I have seen them fold like they were hit with a 300 Winchester, when dead centered. These are 70-150 pound big grey kangaroos.

Will it kill foxes and wildcats here? Of course it will, but I personally beleive the difference between the 17 or 20 and the .223 and .243 is huge on fur.

The 17 Fireball won't exit a North American fox, this I know very well from experience. I don't know anything about the 204 as I have never shot one with it.

I Have shot lots of Foxes with the .17rem with 20gn V MAX and 26gn's of Varget had a fair few runners that i probably wouldn't have had with the .223. It's quite hard to tell where they have been shot and rarely got an exit. I liked the .17 for it's novelty value and i never had a ricochet that i can remember. Those little bullets can be fidly to reload and you do need to be a bit more religeous about cleaning. Got a mate here that uses a 17 Rem Fireball really likes it but he is using it mostly for Crows and Rabbits whilst riding round on the quad. If Fur damage is your main concern then you will get a lot less with any of the .17s than the larger bores, personally i like a 55gn .224 V max at about 3000fps for foxes.

Ezzy

I had a 17 Rem for several years and shot about 400 foxes with it. You had to be a little more spot on with bullet placement as there is little room for error. It would exit quite regulary and leave an inch diameter exit. Sweet little round to shoot though. Wiring makes them easier to skin any far less messy....

I have been shooting a 17 rem for many years and find it a very effective fox culling round I have learned never to use 20gr for anything but crows though, the 25 gr hornady is deadly for fox I have used many different calibres for fox and find the 17 remintgton loaded with the 25gr hornady or berger my favourite of them all brilliant cartridge can not fault it if used properly