Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ackley Improved

Ackley Improved

I am starting to think about re barreling a rifle in .260 Ackley. I am looking for advice on reloading an improved cartridge, i.e fire forming, sizing (full and neck and pros and cons for each) and seating.

Thanks

Sticks

What are you planning on gaining? The 260 runs at 60,000PSI pressures now. How much more can you squeeze out of it??~Muir

SD Regular
    Each to their own but more gain at less pressure AND a factory cartridges would be 6.5mm x 284 Norma or even 6.5mm Remington Magnum.

Bit of a barrel burner

SD Regular
    Here is some useful info:

http://www.6mmbr.com/260aiforming.html

Some comments I saw on the internet mention that 260AI does not feed well from double stack magazines...
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 22-03-2011 at 23:37.

Sticks

Now that Lapua brass is available for the 260, I don't see the point in not using it straight out of the box?

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/new-products/1

I will get some when I work my way through my current stock of Remington brass.

Good luck. JCS

Sticks,

I have been down your path, or one pretty close. 6mm06 AI. Learnt a huge amount about reloading, accuracy powders, bullets - the list is endless. Great experience, very happy I did it. Now have a very accurate rifle firing an 80 grain bullet at 3600 fps. Devastating on foxes, great on a windy night compared to most foxing guns. Don't use it on Deer, too fast, writes off the front end.

Would i do it again?

No. Too hard, too little benifit.

Nigel
    So much to learn and so little time left

Thanks for replies. However my question was for advice on fire forming, full and neck sizing and seating an Ackley Improved case, not should I improve a .260 !

Thanks

Sticks

Good point. Seat the bullet into the lands to support the case against the bolt face. Neck size from there after.

I am always curious however, as to why people choose an Ackley chambering and remain so in your case. 60K cartridges are usually not to be improved upon.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Good point. Seat the bullet into the lands to support the case against the bolt face. Neck size from there after.

I am always curious however, as to why people choose an Ackley chambering and remain so in your case. 60K cartridges are usually not to be improved upon.~Muir
    I like a challenge !