Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory Ammunition for .308 or 7.62

Factory Ammunition for .308 or 7.62

Can anybody suggest to me the best factory loads for accuracy for a .308 in 125 grain and 150 grain.

Cheers
    Last edited by highlander 308; 23-03-2011 at 12:08.

Hello and pardon???

Quote Originally Posted by highlander 308 View Post
    Can anybody suggest to me the best factory loads for accuracy for a .308 in 125 grain and 150 grain.

Cheers
    Welcome to the forum Highlander!

Your question seems to be a bit "how long is a piece of string"/ish. The accuracy of your rifle with various ammunition will depend on many things, but if you want a general starting point why not ask the forum for advice on ammunition used in your particular make/model/barrel combination of rifle rather than just for a .308/7.62.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I don't know about best and most accurate, but for target and practice,surplus MEN 7.62 is probably the cheapest at £38/100 from ITL who are not all that far away from you.if you want to go hunting then you will need to spend a bit more.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Hi highlander 308
    I'm with flytie on this one, the answer is, it depends.
    It depends on a load of variables like barrel length, barrel profile, rifling twist rate etc etc.
    For one of my rifles, I zero one inch high at 100m with Norma 150gr Ballistic tips, and the same rifle, scope and moderator drops 180gr Nosler Partitions from Federal Premium spot on at 100m = convenient for me, I've got a longer range load and a heavy hitting one too, but it took a lot of messing about to find that - I would have been cheaper going down the reloading route, which I'm now doing.
    You gotta try stuff mate, I've never used factory 125gr, but most .308 rifles seem to like 150-180grain ammo.
    Grab a few spares from mates and/or buy boxes of 20 to try to find out what you and the rifle like, and all the best with it mate.

American eagle is not expensive and my AI groups under 1/2" with it.

Hello geoshot
    Thank you for the advice, as a newcomer to deer stalking and shooting in general ( I only introduced myself last week on the forum) there are obviously a lot of variables that I am overlooking.
    I asked the question because when I zeroed in my rifle ( Sauer 202 highlander)I used a cheap ammunition ( 150 grain federal premium) and the guy on the range passed comment " this will take a lot of these cheap bullets to zero this gun in " so I presumed that there are better ones to use ( not necessary the most expensive ). I was obviously wrong in thinking this.
    I think I will take your advise and try various types.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Hello and pardon???
    The 'pardon' referred to the fact that the first time I saw this post it had only the headline.
    All is now revealed.
    Sorry, I cannot answer your question as I only use reloaded ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander 308 View Post
    Hello geoshot
    Thank you for the advice, as a newcomer to deer stalking and shooting in general ( I only introduced myself last week on the forum) there are obviously a lot of variables that I am overlooking.
    I asked the question because when I zeroed in my rifle ( Sauer 202 highlander)I used a cheap ammunition ( 150 grain federal premium) and the guy on the range passed comment " this will take a lot of these cheap bullets to zero this gun in " so I presumed that there are better ones to use ( not necessary the most expensive ). I was obviously wrong in thinking this.
    I think I will take your advise and try various types.
    Cheers
    Highlander, I think the guy you met on the range was pulling your leg, there is nothing wrong with Federal ammunition, and I just used Powershok before starting to reload. The Premium range was out of my price range. You could find worse ammunition!

But there is nothing like trying different weights and makes to find what diet your rifle prefers.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I have a .308 tikka. I use RWS 150 soft point at £33 for 20. Works well, very consistent and accurate. For practice I use NATO 7.62 150g at £12.50 for 20. I'm not too into ballistics but for some reason the NATO drops less than the RWS on the range at longer Ranges so still wise to practice with a few hunting rounds to know what they will do at given ranges.