30-06 200 / 220 grain ammo

MJ75

I'm stalking on 01/04/11 and want to see how my 30-06 performs with 200 and 220 grain ammo. Obviously roe are the only species available north of the wall and I wondered once I've zeroed it and am happy if I used one on a roe buck, what kind of venison damage I can expect as I've never used anything this heavy on small species. Has anyone else?

If the damage is 'lots' I'll take my .243 instead and use a more usual (for me anyway) 100 grain round.

I couldn't care less, but if it is important to you, the 220gr may not meet the minimum velocity requirements for Scotland.

Thats the answer I was hoping for.

I hope you have a dog??? If it drills too small a hole it might make a fair distance with little blood trail. I dont know your ground if its open and daylight fine, not so fine at last light on the edge of cover.

WD

I have used 180gn very succesfully on roe and muntjac with minimal carcase damage. I think 200gn would be just fine. "Eat right up to the hole as they say"

On the velocity front 200gn should make 2650fps and 220gn 2450fps so probably just legal.

ATB

OT

Haven't used 200gn 30-06, but have used a 176 gn round nosed 7x65r on a roe. Picked it up off it's feet and dropped it stone dead with minimal meat damage. Very effective.

I have used 200 and 220's in thirty caliber. (30-06 and 30-40) They are sure killers on deer, moose, elk, etc, provided you hit a vital spot. I shot a whitetail doe with a 220 grain cast bullet from a 30-40 (1900 fps) raking from the left, striking mid ribs and punching though the pulmonary system and exiting ahead of the right forleg. (my favorite shot) She went down like a sack of potatoes. Blood everywhere. ~Muir

I use 300 grain bullets in my 375 H+H Magnum on roe you get less damage than when i use the 270 130 grain bullets but it all depends where you hit them !!!!!!

I'm stalking on 01/04/11 and want to see how my 30-06 performs with 200 and 220 grain ammo. Obviously roe are the only species available north of the wall and I wondered once I've zeroed it and am happy if I used one on a roe buck, what kind of venison damage I can expect as I've never used anything this heavy on small species. Has anyone else?

If the damage is 'lots' I'll take my .243 instead and use a more usual (for me anyway) 100 grain round.

Wot are you hoping to acheive in the long run by using 200/220's
I use 180 grain in my 30-06 as my prefered load
Meat damage is no more or less than with the .243 with the same shot placement on a Roe
head shoot it none or very little meat damage depending on where the head is when you shoot
neck shoot them again not much damage
but take them through the shoulder and both will result the same fecked shoulders and blood shot flanks and possibly back straps

The only thing I found going heavier than 180, was the bullet often punched a hole through the beast and the deer ran especialy with Roe and foxes
I don't think you will gain anything by using such heavy loads on roe apart from extra hassles in following up more than you would normally do

Fallow buck are in season through to the end of April in Scotland too.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/deer-management/advice/deer-seasons.cfm

Rgds JCS

Sure. No fallow on any of my permissions in Scotland unfortunately so I never think about them. I wish there were though. :)

Wot are you hoping to acheive in the long run by using 200/220's
I use 180 grain in my 30-06 as my prefered load
Meat damage is no more or less than with the .243 with the same shot placement on a Roe
head shoot it none or very little meat damage depending on where the head is when you shoot
neck shoot them again not much damage
but take them through the shoulder and both will result the same fecked shoulders and blood shot flanks and possibly back straps

The only thing I found going heavier than 180, was the bullet often punched a hole through the beast and the deer ran especialy with Roe and foxes
I don't think you will gain anything by using such heavy loads on roe apart from extra hassles in following up more than you would normally do

I've not used heavy loads with my 30-06 yet and want to practise with them for my next trip to africa. As I'm after roe I thought I'd try it on them, but if there is potential hassle I'll probably practise with the 30-06 on targets and take the .243 as well for the roe. I suppose I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

You didn't specify what bullet manufacturer. If It was me, Id use the 200 Nosler Partition or Accubond. Both will open up fast enough on smallish game and yet penetrate on larger game. Ive found that at 30-06 speeds neither are especially frangible. capt david

Back