Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Availability of Stalking for New Stalkers

Availability of Stalking for New Stalkers

I throw this thread in as a discussional point..have we reached a period of time where stalking availability is so restricted,other than pay stalking ,that gaining experience and confidence is both difficult and hugely expensive for the average newcomer? Landowners are fully aware of the financial gains to be had from stalking and the opportunities for deer stalking are rare as rocking horse s..t, !

Established Poster
    Great post, ytene. Ineterested to see what this thread stirs up.

Cheers,
    YT

Ytene i support your post fully mate and may i also add even were you can get stalking the future legisaltion will make it near impossible to go stalking with out a mentor or paid guide. You will need all the bits of paper. But you can still practice with the safty side with your rifles shooting other animals and once you are confident with that type of shooting you can move on to deer .

I think ytene has hit the nail fully on the head.

I totally agree with ytene and it is a shame that around our area that nobody at all will give you a chance to go on there land just incase you are eyeing the place up to take the quads etc.I think give it 5 year or so and the normal working class person wont beable to take part in there sport/passion as the costs are going through the roof i have just heard of a chap that he had to pay 120 per stalk for roe does and did not even see anything ,where is it going to end.

I think ytene makes a valid point. Unless you are fortunate in your circle of friends, you have to put your hand in your pocket. Looking at it from a landowner's point of view though, how many would allow a total stranger free access to their land with a fullbore rifle?

Andrew

I think you have a point ytene but also I think that we as stalkers have to understand that to make money out of land in this country (without selling it to be turned into houses) it has to be worked very hard. There is money to be made so they make it. Sometimes I do wonder about the cost of taking cull animals though. Seems to be a bit high given you quite often have to buy the beast off them as well. (I do appreciate having a cull and the meat sold vs selling cull animals to stalkers is not a simple cost equation. I'd be grateful if somebody had seen some numbers on this actually.)

KR,

Scrummy

This is a difficult issue. I am clearly extremly fortunate in that all my shooting is free, be it rabbits/pigeons, vermin, foxs and deer.

Its come through being close friends to landowners and approaching others in the correct manner.

I have come into deer stalking up the ladder so to speak, .22lr for rabbits, then c/F for foxes and then because there is deer on the ground stalking. I supose through this process i have built up considerable experience, knowledge and contacts which have resulted in my current situation.

If you havent got this behind you it must be extremly difficult to get on the ladder.

It is often a game of chance and luck. 20 yrs ago I moved frowm Shropshire to Avon and left thousands of acres of shooting. I was lost, yet one day I called into a local farmer and asked if he owned a field of barley which was being hammered by pigeon. He said no, cause it was not his field, but i was welcome to shoot the pigeon on the wheat behind his farm. Next day I shot 50. He was pleased and inquired what else i shot, I told him and hey presto cart blanc to shoot on his farm. Its now its more of a case of a phone call from him saying he has got some more ground and can i sor out the rabbits/foxs.

Never looked back.

The problem is getting your first lucky break.

It does help if you keep your eyes open. Daily I drive from Bristol to Taunton and I see roe almost daily. The same ones are in the same area and clearly they are not being stalked (or there are a hell of a lot) so if i was inclined I suss out the ground, google it, find out the owners and then make some enquiries. You only need to get one yes.

Clearly Hampshire might be a bit more difficult but you just got to push on doors and one will open.

Good luck, if you perserve it will happen.

D

Quote Originally Posted by ytene View Post
    I throw this thread in as a discussional point..have we reached a period of time where stalking availability is so restricted,other than pay stalking ,that gaining experience and confidence is both difficult and hugely expensive for the average newcomer? Landowners are fully aware of the financial gains to be had from stalking and the opportunities for deer stalking are rare as rocking horse s..t, !
    You can only blame the greed of your own countrymen ,who want it all, making stalking totally over priced keeping those that work for a living out of it, or traveling to Scotland 3 or 4 times a year to stalk on a syndicate.

Extremely sad England has more species of deer than Scotland ,and more ground area than Scotland has, only you can change the problems, use the likes of the newly formed Deer initiative to address the problems, get letters into the BASC And BDS magazines airing the problems , there are hundreds of stalker with the same problems .

It is down to the stalkers to change things .

Established Poster
    The notion of having to pay a not insignificant amount of money just to gain experience is one that I am fairly unfamiliar with. Back home in Canada, due to the abundance of land not owned by anyone, i.e. Crown land, the transfer of money between stalkers is only really necesary if you are a non-resident or you require a guide. It seems to me that given that virtually all UK land has been leased/owned by someone or other, the need to generate funds from that land has resulted in the increasing exclusivity of stalking. I find it incredibly paradoxical that it can cost upwards of 100 a day to stalk in the UK, while my brother takes week long Dall sheep outings in Canada for the cost of food and transportation. Just my 2p.