new certificate holder

Mr H

Just wondered if anyone can clear something up for me.
My newly acquired certificate gives me the right to shoot on land where I have lawful authority.Is this an open license?
Since I'm moving house/job from the place I was originally given permission am I still lawfully allowed to shoot here unless the owner revokes permission (unlikely that he'll do that) but just in case do I need to get written permission from somewhere else?

Sorry if this is all obvious to you !!
Live in Scotland BTW

Cheers
Mr H

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I suspect this is not an open licence, but to answer your question, you do not 'need' to get more permission - there is no distance clause on where your permission is. The requirement for getting a licence is on having reasonable cause to own a rifle. You'll gather that people travel far and wide to pursue their hobby - I know I do!!
I'm not aware of change of address triggering a reassessment of your licence - other than your safety requirements, particularly if you stay in the same force area (i.e. dealing with the same FLO's) - a question may be asked if you change forces, but existing written permission ought to cover you.

Kind regards

E t R

My newly acquired certificate gives me the right to shoot on land where I have lawful authority.Is this an open license?
Since I'm moving house/job from the place I was originally given permission am I still lawfully allowed to shoot here unless the owner revokes permission (unlikely that he'll do that) but just in case do I need to get written permission from somewhere else?

Live in Scotland BTW

Cheers
Mr H
In a word,`yes` it is an open license. You have lawful authority to shoot where `you` deem it safe to do so. This is what i have on mine and mine is open.

You shouldn`t need to get permission from elsewhere as you have ground to go on, even if that might be miles away from where you live.

Good luck

wadas

Live in Scotland BTW

Cheers
Mr H

In big bold writing, ""I says you have lawful authority"" looks pretty obvious to me, I've never seen a close certificate in Scotland, yet a thing of the passed

The key thing is whether there is any mention of "land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police". If this text appears in the conditions then it is NOT an 'open' certificate.

In a word,`yes` it is an open license. You have lawful authority to shoot where `you` deem it safe to do so.

wadas

There's a wee bit more to it than where you "deem it safe". Surely?

Up in Scotland we still need the permission of the holder of the sporting rights and of course there's a stack of other conditions, laws and considerations to be taken into account before getting to the deeming-a-shot-safe stage.

In answer to the OP's question though, yes his looks like what would be called an "open" license but.... is his shooting linked to his job?

If it is I think the move away would likely tend to see the permission revoked. At any rate I think a conversation with the holder of the rights, or his agent, is where the real answer will be found. If the permission still stands...... it still stands.

Last edited:
There's a wee bit more to it than where you "deem it safe". Surely?

Up in Scotland we still need the permission of the holder of the sporting rights and of course there's a stack of other conditions, laws and considerations to be taken into account before getting to the deeming-a-shot-safe stage.

In answer to the OP's question though, yes his looks like what would be called an "open" license but.... is his shooting linked to his job?

If it is I think the move away would likely tend to see the permission revoked. At any rate I think a conversation with the holder of the rights, or his agent, is where the real answer will be found. If the permission still stands...... it still stands.

Come on Tamus, we have got passed the stage of actually having permission to shoot which he has got so now comes to the stage of where the FAC holder has `lawful authority to shoot` which also includes where he deems it suitable and safe to do so.;)

As widows son says Scotland treat there FAC holders more as adults than here in England and usually hand out open certs from day one.;)

wadas

Live in Scotland BTW

Cheers
Mr H

In brief; From what you tell us and what you ask. Yes,Yes (if he/she doesn't revoke it or deny all knowledge of ever having permitted it) and No.

However, I can add ... you don't have to have permission but you can't shoot without it and you may have difficulty providing the authorities with "good reason" come FAC renewal time if you've nowhere you can shoot.

I'm certain that Scottish authorities are at least as keen as their Southern counterparts to deny FACs to people who can't show good reason. Generally, we're all pretty good at doing that up here and I think that's as much a difference as anything else Wadas.;)

Last edited:
in my own experience and my understanding is
if the cert says "where you have lawful authority" means you can shoot anywhere you decide is suitable.
you do not in my experience have to tell tayside of any new ground.

thanks for all the replies ......best to not imply a problem when there isn't one and just inform the FO of my change of address which is obviously a legal recquirement.
I asked the original Q mainly because I happen to be moving only a month after getting my certificate.
End result is nothing is changing but the address.
Cheers
Mr H

Last edited:
This has been mithering me as i didn`t think i explained it properly the way i see it and how it works. "Get out more wadas" :D.

If Mr H asks a farmer/tenant/agent for permission to stalk on his ground and farmer/tenant/agent agrees, that is permission granted, this is always better in writing.

Now, as Mr H`s certificate says "where the certificate holder has lawful authority to shoot" that means that Mr H doesn`t have to inform the firearms unit that he has permission to shoot there. He is responsible for making sure that HE deems the land suitable to shoot over.

I think that makes sense. :rolleyes::lol:

wadas

Back