Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What calibre

What calibre

i already shoot a .30 06 but i want a new rifle so im thinking new caliber to i want something flat and biganoth for boar i was thinking .270WSM

How much flatter and how much bigger B&D?

Boar tend to be shot within a hundred yards, much closer usually, and for that you gain more by going bigger rather than flatter.

For example a .300 RUM with a good 180 grain bullet is about as flat as one get, out to 500 yards - there is no point in having a light bullet going fast only to run out of puff or get blown about by the wind by 300 yards, and will hammer boar close up but at the cost of 40 grains more powder than you burn now and double the recoil.

For close up pig bashing a 9.3 would be better.

The best combo of hitting power and flatness of trajectory I can see is the .375 with .270 grain bullets, it has the trajectory of your 06 with 180 grain bullets, handy as you don't need to relearn your drops and wind - IMO the most important bit of long range field shooting, and it'll hit like the proverbial hammer.

Failing that a 338 but unless you go big and boomy the trajectory won't be that flat compared to say a .270 with 130s or even a 06 with 150s.

The last option is get some 200-220 grain conventional bullets, you don't need premiums and they may be too hard for our quarry, in the 06, zero 2" high at 100 and point and shoot to 220 yards at least.
    Last edited by Grandhubert; 25-03-2011 at 13:53.

b&d

I think you have what you need already. If you want to go shopping, why not buy something light and still deer legal that can be used for smaller deer and practice?

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 25-03-2011 at 13:51. Reason: spelling mistake

im just looking for a round i can use on every thing from fox to boar which the .30 06 dose but i just want something new

...and there is nothing wrong with wanting a new toy.

I would go for a 7mm Rem Mag. 2950fps with a 175 grain, 3250fps with a 140 grain. You can go down to 110 grain at about 3500 fps but I have not tried that - but your foxes probably wouldn't like it very much! Faster and flatter than your 30-06, still man enough for Boar and flat enough for a 250 yard fox under the lamp.

I have found however that the 140's at 3250 make a very large hole in all deer and now use a 6.5 Lapua for that job. The 7mm is reserved for the odd Stag during the rut, Moose and Boar. It does however work on the Roe if you load it down to below 3000 fps without doing too much damage.

All sorts of options open to you.

Good luck
    So much to learn and so little time left

Amir, are you on the sauce this morning?

I get the impression the guy wants a smaller calibre, not larger.

B&D, any of the 270's or 7mm's will do what you want. If you want a magnum, why not? I would either go 270wsm or 7mm Rem Mag, whatever tickles your fancy really.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i like the idear of the 270WSM but is it to quick and light to have the nock down power but will be manly used on fallow and pigs out of a high seat anyway so bullet placement shouldent be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Amir, are you on the sauce this morning?

I get the impression the guy wants a smaller calibre, not larger.

B&D, any of the 270's or 7mm's will do what you want. If you want a magnum, why not? I would either go 270wsm or 7mm Rem Mag, whatever tickles your fancy really.

Bog off, he said big and flat!

I may have gotten a little confused but only because I failed to see how the 270WSM would be better than a 30.06 for what he wants to do with it. I mean it doesn't kick less, it doesn't have much more punch in real terms but shoots a bit flatter.

On looking at it again I would agree with JCS, he should keep what he's got unless it kicks too much for him; in which case he shouldn't get a 7mag or anything WSM because they kick more not less than the thutty.

I would re-iterate my advice about heavy bullets, they help calibres punch above their weight close up and add that a 168 TSX loaded to 2800fps will shoot as flat as most could want.

I've done all my long range shooting with my 180gr 2550fps load because by sheer coincidence, that was what was in the rifle when the long shots presented themselves.....

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    i like the idear of the 270WSM but is it to quick and light to have the nock down power but will be manly used on fallow and pigs out of a high seat anyway so bullet placement shouldent be a problem

Flat is a relative concept, how out do you think your maximum range will be from your highseats?

I will almost guarantee that you can load and zero your 06 to be "point and shoot" with no hold over not too far off that maximum.

Ironically, you may end up loading the velocity down to avoid meat damage with a WSM, negating the point of the thing over a 7mm08 or even .270 in the first place.
    Last edited by Grandhubert; 25-03-2011 at 16:15.

7mm STW, a lad i know used to shoot one, knocks the life out of deer really quickly and is seriously flat.