Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i know nothing

i know nothing

i have herd of people pulling the heads of cheaper ammo and replaceing them with better quality heads but leaving powder the same has anyone tryed this

I'd weigh the powder load carefully and use the mean. Don't use a significantly different weight bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    i have herd of people pulling the heads of cheaper ammo and replaceing them with better quality heads but leaving powder the same has anyone tryed this
    Bullets not heads!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

alright bullets but what kit would i need to do this

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Bullets not heads!
    Ahem........

HEAD
    The end of the cartridge case in which the primer or priming is inserted and the surface upon which the headstamp identification is imprinted. HEAD CLEARANCE The distance between the head of a fully seated cartridge or shell and the face of the breech bolt when the action is in the closed position. Commonly confused with headspace. HEAD, REBATED See Cartridge, Rebated. HEADSPACE The distance from the face of the closed breech of a firearm to the surface in the chamber on which the cartridge case seats. HEADSPACE GAGE A device used in a firearm to determine the distance between the breech face and the chamber surface on which the cartridge seats. Also called Breeching Plug. HEADSTAMP Numerals, letters and symbols (or combinations) stamped into the head of a cartridge case or shotshell to identify the manufacturer, caliber or gage, and other additional information.
    http://www.saami.org/index.cfm

b&d, no disrespect but from your questions it sounds as if you may not be too heavily into reloading yet. It might be for the best if you spent some time reading up on similar threads on here by using the 'Search' facility before considering or attempting something like this.

Pull the bullets with a Collet -type pullet buller and reseat bullets of the same weight. Powder charge is immaterial in my estimation (weighing it to the mean) as it wasn't loaded by weight, and your necks will be loose enough to marginally lower pressures anyhow. Seat to the same bullet base depth. (NOT Over All Length) Generally a poor practice if performance is your goal.~Muir

I got given a load of bullet heads the other day but couldnt take them as i already had enough heads in my cabinet but the chap said he would hold on to the 129 grain heads until i was ready for more heads to be placed on my ticket here is hopeing he dosent sell the heads to any one else.

I used to clean the heads on board ship if i was a naughty boy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uTongariki.JPG Bet they get through some re loading here!!!!

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Pull the bullets with a Collet -type pullet buller and reseat bullets of the same weight. Powder charge is immaterial in my estimation (weighing it to the mean) as it wasn't loaded by weight, and your necks will be loose enough to marginally lower pressures anyhow. Seat to the same bullet base depth. (NOT Over All Length) Generally a poor practice if performance is your goal.~Muir
    why not OAL?
    I reseated some factory loads to longer OAL and it did marginally improve the groups (in my scattergun of a rifle on the other thread)