flat shooting

remmy243

any one have ideas for a nice long range flat shooting round. that would be good for foxing and stalking thought about a .260 ?

any one have ideas for a nice long range flat shooting round. that would be good for foxing and stalking thought about a .260 ?
Hi mate i have a 260 it shoots 1 inch high at 100 bang on at 200 7 inch lowe at 300 with 120 gr bullit thats good for me . same with 85 gr i only need one rifle for fox and deer but each to ther own Cheers Neil

.20TAC 2inch high at 100 flat from 2-300 4inches low at 400 all for 23.5grn of powder firing a 39grn blitzking

.270 can't go wrong or a mate of mine has a .257 weatherby mag which is bloody flat shooting. All that said the .260 is still meant to be a great round (from what I've heard).

Snag

well if you say so

I do! Nothing shoots flat for 100 meters unless it has wings and a propulsion unit! I understand what you are saying: It has a very narrow trajectory window between those distances. Just razzing you a little over your terminology.~Muir

I prefer my 204 for foxing and my 6.5x55 for stalking but a 260 would be a good choice for both.
You would probably need to reload for it though to get the best from it.
My 6.5 will shoot the 85 and 95 grain varmint bullets and the 129 and 140 hunting bullets equally well.

Two rifles required. One for foxes, very fast and very flat. Difficult to judge distance under the lamp and you have to be quick so no time to ping it. Fast and flat takes out the guess work. 22-250 and a 40 grain bullet should do it.

I like a 120 grain bullet at about 3000 fps for Deer. Much quicker and the carcass damage is significant. Plenty of gun for the job. If you want to take the 300 yard shots get a scope with a turret on it and dial it in. You usually get plenty of time to do it.

.....and why would you only want to have one???

depends what you call flat..
anything inside a 4" circle from muzzle to 250 is flat enough for most.

norma .270 130gn zeroed at 1" high at 100 (150yd effective zero) is 1.5" low at 200 and 8" at 300

that is factory at 3100f/s
sure you could improve that with a 100gn at 3500!

25-06 - fast and flat shooting and easy on the shoulder. Only downside is it's speed if you need to shoot at closer range. I looked closely at a sauer 202 takedown in this calibre, but the chap was selling it as he was finding he was getting too much blow-up on roe at 50-60 yds - no issues at all out at 150 yds. Since much of my stalking is also close range, and not that much different to 243 IMHO I passed and went for a bigger calibre.

Don't discount the 243 - with good bullets it is fine for all deer in the uk provided you do your bit,but accept that for big stags it is on the marginal side, but the right side of that margin. And a very good fox calibre, ammo everywhere and FLO likes them.

Back