Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pointing Lab

pointing Lab

Hi All,

I have recently been looking for a new dog, and I came across a breeder who has crossed her GWP with a Labrador. Do you think it will be the best of both breeds or a confused pointing lab?

Cheers Will

Get one , their great , real biddable and easy to train but with a bit of pointer nastiness ive seen them hunt and kill a fox . The rough coated ones are better than the slape coated ones the lads up north would always keep the rough coats

WHAT you will have is simply a crossbreed, with any offspring being mongrels, any responsible breeder wouldnt intensionly cross these fine breeds,there is simply nothing to be gained ,as the gwp is more than capable of fulfiling most if not all roles in the field,a quick fix aint the answer, then again its all a learning curve.

their full of "hybred vigor" a dam good dog . What do the kennel club do with all the money they make anyway . Get the cross breed honest you wont look back but you might get looked down on

A very popular cross with hill keepers, don't think you will be disappointed.

as the owner of an 18 month old gwp(sire) x lab(dam) dog i fully agree with ALL of the above , the most affectionate ,biddable dog i have ever owned or known from 30+ years of shooting/working dogs , and more than capable of doing what's nessesary whilst out stalking when required !, not sure if i would get invited back out picking up twice on a driven shoot though the quote about being looked down on is always going to be there though ! but hey what do you put first the ethics of the job in hand or appearance of your dog ??? your call !!! BUT I KNOW WHAT I PUT FIRST .Some time back there was a call for a national register of deer dogs to be formed but mongrels were "excluded " so if thats what you are after think twice first !!

It sounds like you have all benefited from the right traits coming to the fore, coundn't it just as easily have resulted in a dog with the worst of both breeds?

If you could be sure that only the best traits were present, I for one would love one of these dogs.

glyn I can understand you not being invited back to pick up, those GWP's can be a bit hard mouthed. Great for deer but a dog with a mouth like an alligator isn't very good with game birds really.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    It sounds like you have all benefited from the right traits coming to the fore, coundn't it just as easily have resulted in a dog with the worst of both breeds?

If you could be sure that only the best traits were present, I for one would love one of these dogs.

glyn I can understand you not being invited back to pick up, those GWP's can be a bit hard mouthed. Great for deer but a dog with a mouth like an alligator isn't very good with game birds really.
    I have an aquatance that referes to his GWP as a "HAIRY CROCODILE " i know why now!!
    Yes you are right about the traits "it is a gamble"! but i have been lucky this time .
    When i first went to see the litter " both parents belonged to a keeper " and the mating was unplanned!I said idealy i would like a lab with BIGGER BALLS ! and he laughed !!! certainly got my wish
    Do not rely on them pointing though! its still early days with mine i think ,at 18 months old , he locks up solid on wind /scent when stalking ALL I NEED and once properly pointed a roe "nose and tail out" he seems quite keen on charlie ( no encouragement at all here ) i used to have a couple of GOOD border terriers that he would have given a run for their money !
    Last edited by glyn; 27-03-2011 at 12:48.

Used to go grouse shooting to Glenshee in the 80s the keeper had 3 or 4 of these crosses and they worked well, getting OUT THERE and pointing well....

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Used to go grouse shooting to Glenshee in the 80s the keeper had 3 or 4 of these crosses and they worked well, getting OUT THERE and pointing well....
    just curious nell ,any idea how old they were ?as this is the first dog i've had with any pointing instincts and nothing to compare him with