Guns on the beeb

I was once told by a dear Uncle of mine " If you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows" It sounds harsh , but so very true.

Last edited:
The young man presented very well with sensible constructive comment.
I appreciate Ms Copes point of view having lost a child to gun crime but how the illegal use/possession of guns can be associated with the legal holding of a SGC/FAC is beyond me.

The young man presented very well with sensible constructive comment.
I appreciate Ms Copes point of view having lost a child to gun crime but how the illegal use/possession of guns can be associated with the legal holding of a SGC/FAC is beyond me.

exactly
its like saying you should ban cars, because you lost a loved one to a drunk driver

....... how the illegal use/possession of guns can be associated with the legal holding of a SGC/FAC is beyond me.

Exactly. We should not allow ourselves to be drawn into these discussions. There is virtually no correlation between legal gun ownership / sport shooting and gun crime.

We should refuse to take part in these programmes and refer the media to their local gangsta's for an opinion.

This is known as the "dead baby" tactic and is a favourite of lots of "anti" organisations, almost every one of them has its "dead baby" spokesman, or more likely woman. One anti-motorist organisation, who have even managed to become a charity at our expense, have a front person who claims a member of her family was killed by a motorist. She frequently rants about speeding motorists mowing down the innocent etc. I am told that her family member was killed by a parked lorry which rolled over him when the handbrake failed. This is used to support and justify speed cameras :)

As Brian says there is always the option not to speak to them. This tactic can actually work. Now I know that John from Yorkshire recently appeared (very well) on TV supporting stalking and that he reluctantly did it because if he didn't then no one would present our side. However, broadcasting organisations have to show balance and so usually have to present both sides. If they are dealing with a topic that you might not want to address then you can, if you are smart, deny the other side getting to put their point as well. The tactic is to agree to take part and then to pull out very close to the event, in some cases this prevents the opposing view getting an airing. This works well with live events but, clearly, an individual only gets to play this card once as they don't get asked a 2nd time. Government departments, who are the only people the media can call to represent certain topics use this tactic a lot to stifle debate on certain topics and, of course, because they have the monopoly the broadcaster has no option but to go back to them next time around. An associate travelled the whole length of the UK to appear in a live TV debate (actually on motoring and speed camera issues again) and was in the studio with audience etc. when the government department withdrew. At that point it was too late to get someone else to add balance to the programme and so he was unable to take part in the programme.

Back