Thread: Observer wanting to experience stalking in Lancashire.

Observer wanting to experience stalking in Lancashire.

I hope that this is in the correct section, if not maybe the Mods could let me know and move it to a more appropriate section please.
    I am just getting in to stalking and want to learn and gain as much experience and knowledge as possible. I have a .243 which is conditioned for Deer but with a "Mentoring Condition". My mentor (Who is a very knowledgable and helpfull chap that I think the world of) has invited me out with him to stalk and shot but I can not go stalking whith him to many of his "stalking grounds" because it would involve being away from home for several days at a time, something that my dearly beloved is not too keen on - She has heard out about my "reputation" from when i was in my twenties when I was "free and single", well before I met her! My life has changed around now but it still leaves doubt in her mind unfortunately. Hence the reason for this post!
    I want to gain as much experience as possible and would love the opportunity to accompany anyone in the Lancashire Area on a couple of stalking trips if they have any that are within a reasonable distance. I am not asking for permission to shoot, I will be more than happy to just watch, listen and learn and maybe take some photos (With your permission, of course).
    I would welcome any suggestions or constructive thoughts!

hi frenchiboy

i am new to stalking and in my humble opinion it think you are very lucky to have a mentor who is willing to take you stalking and if it means staying away for a few days so be it.
    i think one of the biggest assets to a stalker is an understanding wife who accepts the fact that you will be leaving the home before daylight and often not returning till well after dark and occasionally being away for a couple of days. so i would say go anyway the worst she can do is devorce you, just a joke. good luck and i hope you get plenty of help from the sd.

regards geoff

Hi Frenchie

What you are suggesting is a very good idea to gain experience. If someone was kind enough to take you out, then if they agree you can also shoot deer with their rifle under the estate rifle clause, but if you do this you must be under their direct supervision. That way any deer you shoot or gralloch etc will count towards having your mentored condition removed as it will show you have experience with a deer calibre rifle and have shot deer. If you are lucky enough to get someone offer this they must hold and 'open certificate' in order the stalks are accepted as proof, though you can do the same with someone without an 'open ticket' but thses stalks wont be accepted as proof.
    A friend of mine is in the same situation as you and Dorset have said he can do this and will accept the proof when he applies for a deer calibre rifle as at present he only has .222

Good luck

Pete

Pete, Thanks for your reply. It is the experience that I am interested in gaining! I personally believe that there is no substitue for "hands on experience"! OK, you can read all the books available and you can watch all the deer stalking and shooting related videos and learn a lot from them, but it is not the same as being there and being in the outdoor real life situation. In my mind that is the best way to learn! (I am not saying that the books and videos are of no use, much of my spare time is spent with my nose buried in the DSC1 Training Manual). I feel that to gain experience from watching an "expert" or "experienced stalker" is the better way forward fo myself, at least then I might pick up a few hints and tips that might not be mentioned in the text books or videos!
    I hope that all makes sense!

As for your reply Geoff, you might have a point! With a divorce think of all the freedom I would have to go shooting and stalking whenever I wanted to as well as being able to get and train a good tracking dog, I could even break wind in bed and not get all of the complaining mutterings etc (At least I don't hold her head under the covers).
    There are a few down sides to what you are saying though:
    Where would some of men be without the little lady to have a hot meal prepared and ready for you after a hard days stalk? On top of that I would have to wash my own smelly socks and undies (Yuk) and of course there is nothing worse that having to get into a cold lonely bed after a long hard and sometimes freezing nights lamping for foxes - Especially if your Hot Water Bottle leaks!
    No, I think the wife does have some good uses and should stay! Mind you it would be a bit more of an advantage if I could find a way to improve her nose and train her to track down any "runners"!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 26-03-2011 at 11:16.

Frenchie...i am in the same type of situation as your good self!! i hope in the next 2 weeks to have my DSC1 under my belt [next sunday] and also my variation. just need to find my rifle and equipment and i will be ready to go. if i find anyone over this way i will let you know...it may be well worth booking a paid for stalk just to get some experience [i am thinking of doing this once i am sorted]
    Same position as yourself with the little lady...as you know Lyn aint too well so being away for extended periods is hard, got a couple of offers of deer above the borders so hope i can sort a trip out and perhaps lodge the wife and child somewhere near shops etc while i play..lol

atb and keep in touch!

Ewan

Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 Doctor Optics 8x56 T4 Mod
    CZ Varmint .17HMR + 6.5-20x56 + Wildcat Mod
    CZ American .22lr + 3-9x56 + Mod
    Baikal 12g single ejector

Quote Originally Posted by TokaS View Post
    Frenchie...i am in the same type of situation as your good self!! i hope in the next 2 weeks to have my DSC1 under my belt [next sunday] and also my variation. just need to find my rifle and equipment and i will be ready to go. if i find anyone over this way i will let you know...it may be well worth booking a paid for stalk just to get some experience [i am thinking of doing this once i am sorted]
    Same position as yourself with the little lady...as you know Lyn aint too well so being away for extended periods is hard, got a couple of offers of deer above the borders so hope i can sort a trip out and perhaps lodge the wife and child somewhere near shops etc while i play..lol

atb and keep in touch!

Ewan
    Hi Ewan, I hope all is well with you and Lyn. I have lost your contact details so maybe you could PM me with your phone number and we can have a chat and maybe arrange to get together.
    Good luck with the DSC1 mate
    Pete