PNEUDART/DAVEJELEN Forest of Dean Red Stag.

Bill Bartlett

Hi, Mike/Dave - here is some pictures of the Red stag I got with you in the Forest of Dean now finished up. I had a great time with you Mike and looking forward to the Autumn when I come back down again. Bill.

Cracking mount Bill ! he looks almost as good dead than when he was alive. Hopefully we'll have some more
to cull in the autumn keep up the fantastic work.
Dave (jelen deer services )

Now that is a wonderful mount.................... christ knows where it would fit here.. I doubt we could fit in in the Bungalow..

Congratulations.

I've been waiting for someone else to ask the obvious question but they haven't, so where did that red deer actually come from?

I've been waiting for someone else to ask the obvious question but they haven't, so where did that red deer actually come from?

I've been thinking the same, as far as I know there are no wild red deer in the Forest of Dean. There are a few in South Wales and parts of Gloucestershire but some way away from the FoD. Any that had appeared before were attributed to escapees from Eastnor Park and I think that we must be talking about a park deer here.

Last edited:
Lydney park came immediately to mind, but there have been a few escapes from various farms of some exotic animals in the past, and I just wondered if red deer could also have escaped at some time.

Lydney park came immediately to mind, but there have been a few escapes from various farms of some exotic animals in the past, and I just wondered if red deer could also have escaped at some time.

I wasn't aware of reds in Lydney Park, I thought the deer there were all fallow but I've not been there for a while.

I don't quite know what the present situation is with the park but I do know that in the past a herd of reds was kept there. There was one instance a good many years ago when a large red stag was introduced to the park and was almost immediately killed by poachers. A warning was issued that if you were offered venison not to buy it in case it was the red stag which still had sedative in its meat that could kill humans. I'm not sure if this was entirely true but it certainly should have stopped the poachers from benefiting financially.

A very experienced stalker with a lot of ground between Redbrook and Brockweir, told me last year thet not only doe's he see them occasionaly crossing the Wye, he takes them on a regular basis. They've been there a long time apparently.

When you see him next tell him to stop taking them and to push them a little further west then.
Did they originally come from Lydney then or elsewhere?

I am just intrested if there are reds in the forest ,but the lack of answer from the relavant posters maybe indicates it came from a park ?
just curious not trying to pinch anybodys stalking !!
cheers Tom

You are right there My mothers side of the family are from the forest < get the three heads joke out the way ! > and my father trained in the dean with the commision back in the sixties and i never heard of red deer in the forest until today very intresting ,you learn something new everyday cheers Tom

We had a nice Red stag with us in Monmouth several years ago and this was corroborated by the F.C ranger for that area.

Apparently it was last seen in the Pennalt area by a local farmer. There used to be a farmer rearing Red Deer around here who unfortunately died and left the Deer for his daughter to manage. She had the lot shot by Blue Thomas when someone who was supposed to be managing the Deer shot the Royal stag for the trophy and so left her with a herd with plenty of stags but which would have been son's and Brothers and no good to breed from.

As for Red in the Dean forest, a friend of mine used to stalk there for Red with the F.C

Well you live and learn, I knew that the odd stag passed through the general area and as I said before these were often attributed to Eastnor Park escapees however I'm thrilled to learn that reds may actually be in residence in the Dean area on a more permanent basis. I can't wait to see one.

Click on this photographers link

DJS PHOTOGRAPHY

Some nice pics there Brian, however...............

"The red deer rut in mid October is one of the UK's most spectacular mammal events. When congregations of deer occur the noise of the roaring can be fantastic, with the decibel level reaching that of lions! In England and Wales there are few places that wild deer roam, albeit in small numbers (eg. the Forest of Dean)."

Hasn't he ever taken a short trip down the M5? I believe there might be a few to see in the locale. :D

Back