Digital scale's

bernie1959

This is just a quick question.

Has anybody had any experiance of the smartreloader sr750 digital scale's, after having use'd a balance scale for some time thought i would treat myself to some digital scale's, ok i understand they may not be the most expensive on the market about 50 quid but i thought they looked ok,

The problem is when trying to weigh a load the actual reading flutuate's for argment's sake if you try and weigh 50grns it will read from 49.1 to 50.5, and when put on the balance scale the load's are way out.

Has anybody else had this problem or have i got a dickie set.:-|

If anybody replies don't think me being rude if i don't answer but i'm going out shortly.

thank's bernie:D

Hi there, i got a Lymans pro 500 as apart of a reloading kit off my wife for xmas ! Well, what a load of s... ! excuse the language ! set at 13 g, i could end up having an overflowing o'r just over half a case in my .22 hornet of lilgun ! Just lucky i know what 13 grains looks like in there !:D Probably takes 5,6,7 attempts to get the scale set/working/balancing ? right !:eek: i just havent got the heart to tell her, that i'm thinking of buying a digital one ! What a gentleman i am, hey !;)

This is just a quick question.

The problem is when trying to weigh a load the actual reading flutuate's for argment's sake if you try and weigh 50grns it will read from 49.1 to 50.5, and when put on the balance scale the load's are way out.

Has anybody else had this problem or have i got a dickie set.:-|

if the digital scales read as you state, i personall wouldnt worry, thats pretty dang good. but........if it read so much diffrent on the beam scale !!!!!!! eeekkkkkkkk. use a good set or a set you trust :eek:

I bought an MTM digital powder scale the other week. I bought it for weighing bullets and loaded rimfire rounds. My litmus test was to weigh these cartridges against the superb, Ohaus Dial a Grain beam scale. Well! Much to my shock, they didn't come up with the came weights by .6 grains. I replaced the batteries and low! The same weight for all samples.

This little MTM scale cost $23US but does a good job for quick weights. I am impressed.~Muir

if you buy cheap!!! you buy twice.. lyman dps 1200, not cheap but the best out there. but got to say a friend of mine uses rcbs balance beam.. was impressed how quick and true measures you get of them.

bob

Thank's for all the replie's

I think i might have miss'led people, i don't have a problem with my beam scale's i trust them 100% hence the reason i weighed the load's on them after first useing the digital set, i just thought it might be nice to have a digital set just to speed thing's up a bit.

What i mean is if i trickle just one pencil of powder on to my beam scale they will move quite a way, but you would need half a shovel full to make the digital's move and then they would be up and down like a whore's drawer's not actualy settling on any given weight,

50quid might be cheap in some people's budget's but not mine!

just wonder'ed if anybody else has had this problem with this make of scale's.:confused:

bernie

Bernie,

If you've just bought this just send these back, and demand a refund.
This is a safety issue.

Like you I didn't want to shell out a fortune for an RCBS or Lyman set of scales. I needed something inexpensive from a reputable name, and York Guns were selling these from Salter Brecknell:-

http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.php?productid=16773&cat=0&page=1

They're absolutely reliable, and match the RCBS 505 beam balance every time. The price has gone up a lot but they may be cheaper elsehere?

My digi scales were a tester from a seller. They retail at £29 i never had a fault or doubt in the 3 years i had them. Having reloaded 1000's yes 1000's of rounds in that time from 22H to 303. They will measure in 4 diffrent scales & up to 50gr of vit powder.

pm if you wish, for details

Last edited:
Bernie,

If you've just bought this just send these back, and demand a refund.
This is a safety issue.

Like you I didn't want to shell out a fortune for an RCBS or Lyman set of scales. I needed something inexpensive from a reputable name, and York Guns were selling these from Salter Brecknell:-

http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.php?productid=16773&cat=0&page=1

They're absolutely reliable, and match the RCBS 505 beam balance every time. The price has gone up a lot but they may be cheaper elsehere?

Funny you should recommend the Salter unit. I have one of these and won't use it for powder.
When trickling powder in to the pan I found I'd trickle the kernels in for quite some time before the thing registered an increase, and then it would show an over load. Remove and replace the pan and you'd get a different reading to the one it had previously settled on. Tried a new battery, and got same result.
They're fine for weighing bullets and pellets, the readings then match my RCBS beam scale, but for trickling loads they're a non-starter.
For powder I've gone back to my RCBS 505.

Back