Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas - a breath of fresh air

Texas - a breath of fresh air

I've been sent out to Texas by my work on a training course for three weeks.
    On arrival at Dallas airport there was a huge advertisment board advertising deer hunting, as moved around the airport there were more of these bill boards. Flying onto San Angelo again the same story.
    Since my arrival ive been trying to arrange a day(s) outing. Unfortunately due to work commitments, I sadly missed out on the opportunity to head out to a ranch to hunt a non native species deer, do some swimming in a lake, fire an AK47 and to camp out under the stars. Hopefully, I'll get another opportunity before I leave.

The people I've met here are so friendly, hunting and fishing here is a way of life. Cars, trucks and shops are all geared up for this type of life style.

I wish the British public were a bit more understanding of what we do.
    Maybe we've been to PC for too long?

Regards from Texas
    Rem 700

I'm heading out there in August, you are right they have a much different view about guns, but I prefer our way to be honest, we talk about gun crime, they live it! won't stop me heading for a range or two though
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Ain,t the US great if your a hunter, I was in Torroto airport on my way to the US, when I thought I would buy a gun mag to get into the mood before arriving, there were none on the shelf so I asked the shop assistant where they were, she says they don,t have them in case they offend people, I pointed out that the top shelf was full of skin mags which offended me, she said they were demmed ok by the company, how weared is that.

Another one, up in Lairg at the filling station and I kid you not. Home and garden stuff was beside the titty mags on the top shelf while nuts type lads mags all the shooting and fishing mags I know were on the eye line shelves..... Everything below was tv, papers etc. Awesome

Was in asda in carlisle, they have a massive mag section and no shooting mag anywhere, a couple of trout and carp and mags. What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    I'm heading out there in August, you are right they have a much different view about guns, but I prefer our way to be honest, we talk about gun crime, they live it! won't stop me heading for a range or two though
    Can you explain this a bit more?~Muir

Week gone already Rem.....Get out there and do some

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Rem

I had a fantastic two years living in Dallas.

This was the range I used to use: http://www.eaglepeakshootingrange.com/gpsr/gpsr.htm

Sadly when I lived there in the late 1980's there was no Cabelas nearby, but now you only have to drive to Fort Worth: http://www.cabelas.com/retail-stores-fort-worth.shtml in order for the credit card to take a hammering!

I travel extensively for work and have found that the negative attitude towards hunting is an almost entirely British thing. Everywhere else I go (Europe - East and West, South Africa, US) hunting is talked about extensively, both at work and at play.

My personal view is that the domination of the supermarkets in the UK, combined with the sharp urban-rural divide, has led to the population at large having little perception of where their food comes from if it isn't Sainsbury's, Tesco, ASDA, etc. This in turn has led to Mr & Mrs Average having no idea about food production. Combine that with the population's innate fear and misunderstanding of "guns" and you have the ideal conditions for them to look on us with both suspicion and incomprehension.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Can you explain this a bit more?~Muir
    I know several people in San Antonio and Houston, of them 1 had a shooting next door during an attempted break in, his father and mother narrowly avoided a car-jacking at gunpoint and another shot and killed an intruder! (all within 2 years!) all live in quiet residential areas and all but 1 have concealed carry permits because they feel at risk! I don't feel at risk of gun crime here hence my statement. I'm not saying our ways are better or that yours are, just that the difference is very noticeable.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Kenny the fear of crime is greater than the actual level of crime, if you consider the percentage of guns in the us to here, you are more likely to be shot here, most gun crime in the US as here is criminal based ie like on like, having been traveling to the US for many years I can tell you I fell no safer in the back streets of one of our major citys than in the back streets of theres. We have car jackings in our citys as well

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Kenny the fear of crime is greater than the actual level of crime, if you consider the percentage of guns in the us to here, you are more likely to be shot here, most gun crime in the US as here is criminal based ie like on like, having been traveling to the US for many years I can tell you I fell no safer in the back streets of one of our major citys than in the back streets of theres. We have car jackings in our citys as well
    you could well be right , it won't stop me going anyway