Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning. Lock them away.

Warning. Lock them away.

A mate of mine after a few beers had a row with his wife last weekend. There was no hint of violence but she felt scared and rang the police. What happened next was shocking but not surprising given the current climate and debate on gun control. At 4am he could hear someone shouting his name. He looked out of the window to see a torch being shined back at him. It was the police. They gave him no time to dress but told him to come straight down and outside. He was greeted by 2 ARV's, 2 dog handlers and a shedload of officers with guns trained on him. The road was closed off and he was cuffed in the middle of it with neighbours up and looking on. He is in a big crock of sh!t. He had left his ticket in his lorry and that didn't go down well either. I'm not here to moralise. He's a good mate and made big mistakes which he may well pay a big price for. It was a wake up call for me. I use my rifles everyday and if I'm honest they don't always go straight back in the cabinet as I will go back out later. My ticket was in my glovebox of my motor. His life and job are on the line now but it could've been easily avoided. There are lessons we can all learn from this.
    Last edited by Rowey; 28-03-2011 at 08:50. Reason: I've taken a sentence out which diverted attention away from the original intention of the post.

Loaded guns left out of a cabinet!!!!!!

Were they brought out before or after he had the argument that caused the police to be called, although not that that makes a difference and as this is his excuse how many loaded guns did he plan on taking with him the next morning? Guns left out empty before you go to bed in a slip at the side of the bed to avoid disturbing the whole house by banging about in a metal gun cabinet is one thing. What he has done is unbelievable.

What possibly can you learn from this unless this is a practice you employ yourself? My guns can be out 4 or 5 times a week and I have never left a loaded gun in the house. Late home one night and out the first thing next morning I put my hands up to it being left at the side of my bed with the ammunition elsewhere, none of us are perfect but this story causes me no sympathy whatsover towards your mate!

I think the important point is when not in use get your guns and ammo locked away because it's easy to get caught out.

I always thought it was legal to have your gun out of the cabinet if you were in residence at the time ?

only for cleaning and inspection. Otherwise good reason as usual

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Loaded guns left out of a cabinet!!!!!!

Were they brought out before or after he had the argument that caused the police to be called, although not that that makes a difference and as this is his excuse how many loaded guns did he plan on taking with him the next morning? Guns left out empty before you go to bed in a slip at the side of the bed to avoid disturbing the whole house by banging about in a metal gun cabinet is one thing. What he has done is unbelievable.

What possibly can you learn from this unless this is a practice you employ yourself? My guns can be out 4 or 5 times a week and I have never left a loaded gun in the house. Late home one night and out the first thing next morning I put my hands up to it being left at the side of my bed with the ammunition elsewhere, none of us are perfect but this story causes me no sympathy whatsover towards your mate!
    Didn't post it to seek your sympathy or advocate any of his practices which are clearly wrong. Read it again slowly. He will pay the price quite possibly with a custodial sentence. What I am saying is that no one is whiter than white. Just best to put them away even if you are knackered. I've come in times from lamping at 2am to leave again at 4.30am and not bothered to put them away as soon as I got in. What I will learn is not to do it in the future. If it stops any of us from making a similar balls up in future then it will have been worth it. Your own reply says you left yours out. The police stance is that this is out of order full stop. I've done it times and kept my ticket and occasionally ammo in my vehicle but it won't happen again and I use mine 7 days a week

I leave my rifle out untill it is completly dry and that can be a good couple of hours before it gets put away no crime at all. I had a visit from my FLO while my rifle was lieing on the couch he did say why is that out i told him i am just back and certainly have not had time to sort it. But never have i had a loaded rifle in the house for any reason.

Don't leave mine out as a rule, other than as 6pointer says to dry, and certainly never loaded magazines in the house, but I am guilty of leaving my ticket in my truck,as my work takes me all over the country then its always to hand if asked to produce it, maybe have to rethink that one.

Many years ago iwas guilty of not locking guns away,wife was forever complaining about this...

It came to an end one day, on returning from work the wife said that there had been some kids climbing on the shed roof and refusing to get down,when i asked what she had done she casualy replied one of your guns was in the cuboard so i pointed it out of the window, that soon shifted them she said...

My first reaction was to sh*t myself,before screaming at her, she started laughing saying she was only joking,but would i please lock them away,believe me it had the desired affect.....

Bogtrotter,

Big difference in law between "in your possession" and "on your possession".

One means that you actually have it, the other means you have it upon your person.

A photo copy is an "aide memoire" that you can use to direct the relevant inquirer as opposed to the enquirer.

Stan