8x68S

Alaska_Seth

Anyone shooting one of these?

I am thinking about building one on a Howa 1500 with a #7 Shilen barrel at 26 inches.

And using 200 Grain Nosler Accubonds and 200 Grain Sierra Match bullets.

Anyone shooting one of these?

I am thinking about building one on a Howa 1500 with a #7 Shilen barrel at 26 inches.

And using 200 Grain Nosler Accubonds and 200 Grain Sierra Match bullets.
Sorry Seth I can't comment on that set up, other than I imagine it would be fantastic for all aussie game. But you might have 'issues' getting it licensed in the UK ;)

What price are you getting a Shilen barrel from in Australia and and what price if you don't mind me asking?

I used one the first time I hunted in Africa. I think it was 225gr bullets. Its a wonderful round and popular for large deer and boar in Germany. Popular in Namibia for large antelope, zebra, etc. at medium to longer ranges. Think of it as a European .340 weatherby...

Shilen barrels are about $500 through Shooters Wholesale. I might be able to do better by going through another barrel maker.

But I want it to be accurate.

Thanks, All!

Weird timing. I saw a set of RCBS dies in this caliber at a gunshow Saturday last. They were only $25 US but I couldn't see the need....~Muir

Shilen barrels are about $500 through Shooters Wholesale. I might be able to do better by going through another barrel maker.

But I want it to be accurate.

Thanks, All!
Thanks. Didn't know they did Shilan too. Thinking ahead here about all the builds I'm going to do when I get to Australia...

I have owned a Mannlicher Classic in 8 x 68S for several years.
Power wise it sits between 300 Win mag and 338 Win Mag.
Mine is moderated which makes the rifle more pleasant to shoot.
As Wayne said I use it predominantly on wild boar although I also have deer on my ticket.
It shoots very well with a range of bullet weights.
My favorite pig load is 200g Nosler Partition loaded back to 2800ft/sec.
You are welcome to PM me for more information.

I had an 8X68S made by Weatherby on their Mk.5 action.
It was an excellent rifle and accurate for me with the 187gr H-Mantel bullet but with approx. 4195 foot/pounds of muzzle energy it was `too much gun` for my feeble ten-stone frame.
I took it to Africa on my first trip and it killed everything very well but was unpleasant to fire.
On my second trip I took a .300 Win.Mag. which also killed well but did not punish me each time I pulled the trigger.
I gave the Weatherby away to my Swedish Moose hunting pal.

HWH.

You have some good barrel makers in OZ I have 2 Tobler barrels that are very accurate, MAB and MADDCO have excellent reputations, I have been to the MAB
plant very impressive setup, the only problem with the 8x68 is has anybody got a reamer, and importing into Australia I understand that shooting stuff is a bit of a hassle, I nearly bought a Sauer in 8x68 but was a little short of cash.

Ahhh Stag1933,

I had an 8X68S made by Weatherby on their Mk.5 action.
It was an excellent rifle and accurate for me with the 187gr H-Mantel bullet but with approx. 4195 foot/pounds of muzzle energy it was `too much gun` for my feeble ten-stone frame.
I took it to Africa on my first trip and it killed everything very well but was unpleasant to fire.

Perhaps the Weatherby's stock was not of the best design for the rifle and you. Having shot a few in the past I have found none of the MkV's to be comfortable which just reinforced my view of them being over-rated and over priced.

Back