Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balance scale vs Powder thrower

Balance scale vs Powder thrower

I use an RCBS balance scale and religously measure out each charge to the last 0.1 grain. It is very acurate but it takes allot of time.

A friend of mine who I have a great deal of respect for and is proven to be a very accurate shot swears that you should load by volume and not by weight and uses a Harrell powder thrower. It is far quicker than my method and as i said, he is horribly accurate.

I have an RCBS thrower and it is not accurate, +/- 0.5 grains.

Does anyone else have any experience of accurate throwers or any thoughts on measuring charges by weight vs volume?
    So much to learn and so little time left

An old discussion! What powder and what caliber? Obviously, if yoiu are loading 77 grains of relatively slow H-4831 in a 30-338 wildcat and are off by .5 grains it's not a big deal and not worth the cost of a Harrell. If you are loading a 5mm Craig then a half grain is a 15% change in load. Oh! +/- .5 from a standard volumetric measure is fine accuracy, actually.~Muir

PS: Commercial manufacturers all us volumetric measure for their standard loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I use an RCBS balance scale and religously measure out each charge to the last 0.1 grain. It is very acurate but it takes allot of time.
    Why not invest in a Target master trickler?
    http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

I have one and it's fast and I also have one of these which is faster
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...s/1200-DPS.php

O_R

I am in full agreement with Muir, but I throw all my loads 222, 22.250, 6.5 x 55, 270, 30.06 with a Lee perfect powder measure.
    With the powder I use the accuracy is a variable of .3 grains and even in the 222 it does not make a difference to accuracy.
    But I am a stalker not a target shooter
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I vary between RCBS digital scale to lee basic beam scale or Lee perfect powder measure. I do shoot for accuracy & aint had much if any diffrence between the loaded rounds using each. I would however like to up grade my powder flow to redding or harrel but the type of powder has a big influance in how it meeters in the powder flows in its accuracy to the grain.

I use the Lee powder thrower to throw approx 51g of imr 4831 and I then use rcbs digital scale to take it up to 51.5g. I find the thrower is +\- 0.5 g in charges dumped and a lot depends on how you move the handle. Since I am in no rush I don't mind the extra time to get it accurate. whether or not this actually makes much of a difference I haven't a clue, but it is a confidence thing.

I use an RCBS thrower with trickler attached, straight onto digital scales. Throw the charge a little bit light, couple of twists of the trickler up to the required measure. With a bit of practice it takes seconds.... certainly faster than the automatic chargemaster type systems.

Quote Originally Posted by old_realtree View Post
    Why not invest in a Target master trickler?
    http://www.targetmasteruk.com/

I have one and it's fast and I also have one of these which is faster
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...s/1200-DPS.php

O_R
    +1 for the Targetmaster trickler, a superb bit of kit for the price.

I throw a measure and weigh every one its quicker than a dipper and every one is gauranteed to be right.
    All rcbs. and i rarley have to adjust the measure.

When developing a load i weigh each load, , but now when reloading for .223 with 26 gn varget I find my lee powder thrower fine, but i do check every 10th.

I just put some powder in a plastic universal container and tip it in a pan, you soon get used to the amount and then gentle trickle a few kernels into the pan to get the correct weight. Not that i reload that much/often.

D