Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spikes?

Spikes?

Although it is somewhat controversial, most in the US believe that spikes, or small 'spike-ish' 18 month whitetail bucks are inferior and should be harvested. There are some exceptions, but generally in Texas, this is the rule. I know that I'm talking in generalities here. Are most Roe, fallow and sika spikes at 18 months, or might they have small 'racks'? capt david

I am no expert on fallow or Sika, its quite normal for Red and Roe to be spikes at that age, a lot depends on the quality of food available, as a general rule with Roe if spikes are less than the length of ears cull, if longer than the ears then it has potential.

Not sure on fallow but red are generally a spiker as but with the roe pending on area ie food supply they can differ. Im in a very good quality area for roe buck trophy quality & i get 1yrs old spikers to quite common 4"-6" 4 pointers & odd small 6 pointers. As bogtrotters says my main cull is yearlings which are button/spikers but i also take into account the territory that they are keeping ie next/in between a couple big bucks etc so i dont just cull on head i look at body mass first head/territory etc if i can with the ground i have but some bits i have to cull all that come in.

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    Although it is somewhat controversial, most in the US believe that spikes, or small 'spike-ish' 18 month whitetail bucks are inferior and should be harvested. There are some exceptions, but generally in Texas, this is the rule. I know that I'm talking in generalities here. Are most Roe, fallow and sika spikes at 18 months, or might they have small 'racks'? capt david
    Must be a Texas thing. In Montana you either shoot them or not... but then, we don't have "managed" hunting ranches to the extent that you folks do.~Muir

Muir, The main reason that our game is 'managed' is that there is very little public land. Deer are treated as a cash crop and bigger bucks are worth more than dinks. In my lifetime, I'm 62, there has been a tremendous increase in the quality of our deer heard both body and horn size. it has been accomplished by reducing the doe buck ratio and culling inferior bucks. Sometimes it's done on large tens of thousands of acre non high fenced ranches, but generally on smaller 600 to several thousand acre high fenced ranches. capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    Muir, The main reason that our game is 'managed' is that there is very little public land. Deer are treated as a cash crop and bigger bucks are worth more than dinks. In my lifetime, I'm 62, there has been a tremendous increase in the quality of our deer heard both body and horn size. it has been accomplished by reducing the doe buck ratio and culling inferior bucks. Sometimes it's done on large tens of thousands of acre non high fenced ranches, but generally on smaller 600 to several thousand acre high fenced ranches. capt david
    I understand this completely, but I was just trying to curb the notion that Texas speaks for "...most in the US..."! ~Muir

For all the good and some bad, Texas is an entity unto itself! It probably has much to do that we were an independent nation before we became a state. The only one, I may add. capt david

I've been fortunate to have visited the Alamo a couple of times and read the accounts of Texan history there with great interest. And as far as I understand it Texas was swindled/stolen from its rightful owners, Mexico.

Nice place all the same, bit hot mind, foods great, beers terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    . And as far as I understand it Texas was swindled/stolen from its rightful owners, Mexico.
    By your take on Texas, the whole of the U.S. eastern seaboard was "stolen" from the British, then?~Muir

Never thought of it like that, but I suppose the answer is yes. Lucky we kept a bridgehead on the continent so we can pop down and reclaim what is rightfully ours.