Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK deer?

UK deer?

Whitetail deer in the US are predominately browsers on forbes and shoots, and occassionally grazers. It seems to me that the UK deer are just the opposite, is this true? capt david

No,UK deer are browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    No,UK deer are browsers.
    Unless they are fallow.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Or Red.

BTW captdavid, your whitetails are the 'New World' cousins of our 'Olde World' Roe, being from the same subfamily of Cervidae - the Capreolinae:

http://www.ultimateungulate.com/Ceta...preolinae.html

Orion and Simon, just to complicate matters slightly Roe are browsers, Fallow are predominate grazers and occasional browsers, Red are intermediate feeders ie both browse and graze, Studies in New Zealand suggest that the change from
    browse to graze is triggered by the search for soluble sugers.

Browsers and grazers apparently have different stomach design our deer species appear to have the pre stomach of a browser, so maybe not quite as straight forward as first appears.

Maybe someone on here with a bit more knowledge of anatomy can enlighten.

So pray tell me when I see roe with their heads down in a field of winter wheat what are they doing, grazing or browsing?

Surely browsing is when they are slowly moving down a hedge taking a nibble here and there. Quite different from when they are in a wheatfield when from what I have observed acting more like cows.

I watched a group of five a couple of weeks ago for a good 30 mins in a field of rough pasture and they seemed to be grazing in the tufts for young new growth of grass.

Might it be that roe have different feeding stratergy when in different habitats?

D

Hi bogtrotter,

I think both ft and myself were highlighting that some of the UK species are not browsers by preference - although habitat, food availability and other environmental factors will play a big part in the daily or seasonal diet, and that applies to the browsers as well.

For a quick reference have a scan through the brief descriptions given on the BDS website which will indicate that the larger species are preferrential grazers - possibly due to the need for bulk sustenance requirement due to size/bodyweight:

http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_species_overview.html

Grazers = Red, Sika & Fallow

Selective Browers = Roe, Muntjac & CWD

In the winter, after the browse has gone dormant, whitetails will graze the winter oats. Once its begin to spring up and the browse begins to show the deer are not nearly as likely to be on the fields. This tells me that they prefer the forbs. capt david

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    So pray tell me when I see roe with their heads down in a field of winter wheat what are they doing, grazing or browsing?

Surely browsing is when they are slowly moving down a hedge taking a nibble here and there. Quite different from when they are in a wheatfield when from what I have observed acting more like cows.

I watched a group of five a couple of weeks ago for a good 30 mins in a field of rough pasture and they seemed to be grazing in the tufts for young new growth of grass.

Might it be that roe have different feeding stratergy when in different habitats?

D
    Next time you see them on a field of winter wheat go and look for the damage bet you can't find it, I know that farmers get upset when they see them on young crops, but what they are after is the weeds that grow in the crop , they eat a little of the wheat when it first emerges but thats about it, watch roe feed they don't eat much of any one thing
    but move from one thing to another a little of this a little of that, though hard weather can change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Hi bogtrotter,

I think both ft and myself were highlighting that some of the UK species are not browsers by preference - although habitat, food availability and other environmental factors will play a big part in the daily or seasonal diet, and that applies to the browsers as well.

For a quick reference have a scan through the brief descriptions given on the BDS website which will indicate that the larger species are preferrential grazers - possibly due to the need for bulk sustenance requirement due to size/bodyweight:

http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_species_overview.html

Grazers = Red, Sika & Fallow

Selective Browers = Roe, Muntjac & CWD
    Orion, absolutely spot on! Easily apparant if you look at the shape of the jaws, or so i was taught.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.