Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please be careful !

please be careful !

to all those who have red deer still to be culled before the end of the season especially down here in east anglia where the monsters are ! please be careful when handling them and look after your back !

i shot 2 stags yesterday evening , i necked 1 and chested the other which catred off accross the field and plonked him self right at the bottom of a ditch .

now i have all the kit , winch and ramp and all that but it aint alot of cop if you cant get your truck accross the ploughed field to get to it ! so i had to hand drag him out on me todd .

i am now waiting to go and see the back quack to be duffed up and i hope my back will be sorted . because its bloody killing me !

just a word of warning .

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

You have my sympathy thats why I sold my pickup and got a quad with winch did a similer thing once. now the quad will go around field margins winch deer out of ditches.My landowners are happy for me to work this way.Fuel bills are down but quad cost about 2.2k,then again what price the pain you must be in now.

Sorry to hear that Lee, hope the back improves. As roedeerred has mentioned it pays to get a quad. I also have a crew cab pick up but they are no match for a quad when it comes to extraction described by yourself. I tow mine behind the truck and you can also tow the trailer the quad is on behind the quad, so it doubles up if you have a lot of beasts to collect or just two big buggers similar to what you have shot.

Let me know when you are coming down as I have a few commitments for April and some in May for stalking.

Best

Sikamalc

I tend to throw them over the shoulders and carry them out...

sorry you have knacked your back mate how did the induction go.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I tend to throw them over the shoulders and carry them out...

Just the one you have two shoulders use them both

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Just the one you have two shoulders use them both
    I did that with roe deer the other week,,two on my back, blood running down my neck, wife thought I had just been in a near fatal car accident when I walked throught the door!...tell you what, two at a time is tough for roe,,I have done Red Deer calf before, but never tried a full stag or hind!

combined larder weight of the 2 beasts were 160kg (so only tiddlers) and typicly the bigger of the 2 was the one who buggered off !

have been duffed up , and feels like ive done 10 rounds with my ex mrs !

i never knew a lovely petit blond with whopping bazookas could work magic but obviusly she can !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I used to use a quad to retrive stags from open hill ground, Problem was you cant drag them 5 miles across rock and scree

So you put them on the back rack of the quad until. one day I slipped pulling the stag onto the bike and landed on my back on the handle bars, damaged my back and kidneys in one bad move, Now I have a polaris ranger and a winch, it will go anywhere a quad will and I dont have to lift anything.

Now if they could only invent something to drag the beast to the polaris!!!!!

I take it you've done the manual handling course .lol