confused (as usual)

kennyc

folks, I am as green as a green thing when it comes to reloading, and I have a bit of a poser here, I bought a set of Lee RGB dies yesterday (well I managed to break the decapping pin on my Lee loader and wasn't about to pay 4x the value in postage from Midway UK, so I went and spent 4x the cost of the Lee Loader instead :doh:) anyway, I resized about 20 cases before noticing this circular scratch around the case, it is on all the cases and is deep enough to feel with a nail, it is equal around the circumference of the cases and here's the mystery, if it is a defect in the die, or dirt in the die, why isn't it longitudinal in the direction of movement? also, is there any problem with continuing to use these cases ? or should I just bin them? they are PPU by the way. Ken

Attachments

• DSCF4267 [1024x768].JPG
    DSCF4267 [1024x768].JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 51
Have the necks been fully sized Kenny?

I can't see from the photos.

DO the shoulders show signs of being marked by the die?

I have a FL lee 308 die that does not have the best internal machining in the world but doesn't produce marks like that.

Can you get the whole case into the die when you are sizing, ir have the shell holder touch the die on the upstroke or are you partial sizing?

Amir

:D

He's right!!

I know remember why I got rid of mine two years ago!

The cases are fine to use, those are just scratches.

Might still be worth smoothing off the sharp edge on the deburring tool though, or it will scratch deeper and deeper on the same point each time you use it!

how do you scratch it that badly with the deburring tool?
mine clears the case by some margin and doesnt touch the case wall.

is this the handheld one?

I have to agree with bewsher, I use the same deburrer in .308 as on the link and also run them slowly in a cordless drill and have never had any marks like that there is plenty of clearance around the cases, the marks look to uniformed unless the deburrer has some machining left in side of it? be interesting to find out what is doing it.

You get them when the case is spun in the lock stud from the cutter drill and you wiggle the chamfer tool about to try and get it cutting properly.

I could post a picture of 20 identically marked 308 cases myself but they are at home/can't be arsed/try it and see. :lol:

You get them when the case is spun in the lock stud from the cutter drill and you wiggle the chamfer tool about to try and get it cutting properly.

I could post a picture of 20 identically marked 308 cases myself but they are at home/can't be arsed/try it and see. :lol:
I think you are almost there with that, although I wasn't using a drill I did when I tried again tonight notice that I was "wobbling" the cutter and there must be a rough lip on the cutter as it can mark the case. from now on I'm going to be a bit more careful to keep things square.

I got rid for that reason, it seems that some people get one that cuts properly and easily, Adamant on here has one, and some get useless crappy ones that more burnish than cut in chamfering.

I got one of the latter. If the chamfering tool is not cutting the right amount off after a few twists it is not particularly effective.

I now use a 13mm countersinking bit for the inside, the important bit, and a file on the outside with the case with an electric drill. Quick and easy.

Kudos to JCS for spotting it so quickly.

yes, well spotted but I still think you are using it incorrectly.
I dont use it slowly give a quick spin and literally just touch it for less than a second (probably closer to half a second).
if you have to wiggle it around then its either not cutting properly or worse cutting at an non uniform angle.

could be you have a duff one though

....Kudos to JCS for spotting it so quickly.

Gh. Thanks, but having dug myself into the same hole some time ago, I quickly recognised where I was. I don't use the Lee tool any more either. I have gone back to the RCBS tool for outside chamfering.

Regards JCS

The Lee tool is not cut/machined to be used on a powered set up. Even with the Zip Trim I pull lightly, only. It cuts fine, but them I don't put on a huge chamfer. Just enough to break the burr.~Muir

Back