Thread: optilock scope rings

optilock scope rings

just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to remove my optilock rings. it seems iv,e been a little bit over enthusiastic with the allen key and sheared the heads off the screws. someone said you can drill them out but i would like to know is there another way. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to remove my optilock rings. it seems iv,e been a little bit over enthusiastic with the allen key and sheared the heads off the screws. someone said you can drill them out but i would like to know is there another way. thanks
    jeez, you must have been really going for it... Without knowing optilocks I'd say sounds like they need drilling. Although you could try eazyouts or something maybe?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Angle grinder,gas axe or drill them out,you choose!

Cut a slot across them and try a screwdriver, use a dremmel or something similar and grind the slot in
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Cut a slot across them and try a screwdriver, use a dremmel or something similar and grind the slot in
    With my Optilocs that would not be possible as the screws are below the surface of the rings.
    In similar circumstances I would drill the screw heads off with a drill slightly larger than thread shank diameter.
    This would remove the tension off the two screws on the opposite side of the rings and possibly allow those screws to be screwed out.
    If not they too could be drilled out. When drilled out the ring can be lifted off and with luck there should be enough thread stems left to winkle them out.

HWH.

thanks for the advice fella,s i think i might just leave em alone for now

diy?

Had the same problem with one mount to action screw on my 202 recently. Bit the bullet and drilled it out down the middle of the screw with a 2mm steel bit free hand with a hand drill on slow speed. Guess I was lucky and it worked for me, didnt damage the threads in the action at all. If you do damage the threads then you will have to re-thread action and use appropriate screw. The action of the drill bit free'd up the broken off screw and it fell away into the action housing. Good luck anyhow.
    Last edited by willtomand; 30-03-2011 at 14:59.

Have you actually sheared the heads off or have you just chewed out the hex slot in the head if so try one of the torque type bits that you get these days shaped like a six point star,find one that's a tight fit and tap it in gently with a hammer so its a tight fit should do the trick.

If they are mounted on a Sako with a tapered rail I would get a hammer and drift prefferably brass and tap them down the taper they will only have to move a little to come loose. If they are on a parralel rail then this wont work

I had a similar problem after slipping with the allen key on the base screws. Luckily my old neighbour was an engineer, he had a torx bit that fitted, the splined edges managed to grip enough to undo the screw. He said that he would have drilled the old one out if that hadn't worked.