Beast in the boot!

DC .270

Evening all,

I'm sure (hope) that I'm not the only one who stalks as often as he can but has to make do with the office motor - Ford Focus. I'm curious to know what boxes, sheeting, or other bits of kit people use to transport deer in their little motors - without blood and stnech overwhelming the missus on the trip to the shops the next day!

I've not mastered it yet!

Thank,

DC

DC,

I use a blue plastic box given to me by a very kind Sainsbury's delivery driver. It will take a whole roe without limbs sticking out too far and small enough to fit in the boot of my work car. It has no holes in, so no blood or snot in the boot.

Hose and scrub it out afterwards - ideal for the purpose and free.

Cheers,

Bob

I use a big storage box from B&Q. Fits a Roe in there OK, or last month a Muntjac and a CWD together.

DC,

Take some 1.5 ltr mineral water bottles, half fill with tap, lay horizontal in freezer. Take with you on the day stalk. After gralloch insert in cavity, cools down nicely.

I tend to use a net as well in order to keep the ticks etc. "out of the car'. (load carcass into tray, load tray into the net already in car, pull up net and tie).

Stan

If you are just shooting the smaller deer have a google for the Harkila roe sack. As well as been a nice roe sack that folds up neatly the liner won't leak. If you take rabbits in the car one day the smell will be so bad that maybe she won't moan about the smell of a deer. Or better still shoot a hare! They reek!

I have several boxes which I [icked up from Alisons in Preston.
They have allsorts of different sizes and very cheap.
Their website is good but the warehouse gives a lot more opportunity for finding the odd one they have for £4-5.

Even a plastic dog-basket can be useful !

HWH.

A big boot, a large dog-basket and a small Sika stag for example.

HWH.
EireOCT07andRoeDoes075.jpg

Recollections of a trip back from Angus with 20 point stag head in the rear seats of a BMW 7, just.

Really took a long while to understand why overtaking cars were looking at me in a weird way.

Stan

I used a deep sided plastic storage box with lid from Ikea which was excellent for Roe, then I started to shoot the very occasional Red so bought a plasterers bath which is very good, it fits in nicely lengthways across my Forrester. It is also helps greatly in getting the big lumps into the back of the vehicle without a wrestling match.

Last edited:
i use, a 45 gallon plastic drum cut long ways along its lenth, into two,and attach a piece of rope to either end (drill two holes in each end) to use as handles,great for putting stuff in and easy to carry,

I use a high sided garden tray from my local garden centre.

I have had 2 roe and a muntjac on it before.

Cost about £10

Cheers

Ross

Can't find a tray large enough in fact cant find a truck large enough had 29 roe does the weekend before last could only manage to squeeze 22 into the truck:rofl:

Here you naughty boy :eek: 22 into the truck!! What was it a low loader.

Hope you we'nt stack'n :-| ( against Best Practice Guidelines )

Rgds, Buck.;)

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I knew there'd be plenty of folk on here who would be able to recommend something and know where to get them.

I liked the photo of the dog bed. Classy and ideal!

DC

Pop into your local builders merchants and ask for a plasterers bath. They are made from a tough polythene and will fit a fallow buck quite easily. Pressure wash afterwards and leave outside. Mine is six years old and still serves well. Check it will fit first of course!

Mark

Back