Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: FAC variation winging its way back to me...

  1. #1

    FAC variation winging its way back to me...

    Right my FAC variation is on the way back to me apparently. Lancs were happy with me doing my DSC1, they have put on a mentoring clause but it seems very relaxed, having spoken to one of the firearms staff, they have agreed that my mentor just needs to be happy that i am on top of the safety aspect of shooting my rifle and that can be done zeroing/fox or deer work. Whether it only takes a couple of trips out for the letter to go in they will be happy with that.
    They have requested this as apparently the DSC1 does not concentrate on practical safety, only on classroom based questions about legislation.....lol....news to me!!! I will wait till i have done it and send them a polite email just pointing out that it is incorporated in case they didn't know that??!!

    Now i just have to wait for the right rifle, i will post in the wanted section...

    atb

    Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 Doctor Optics 8x56 T4 Mod
    CZ Varmint .17HMR + 6.5-20x56 + Wildcat Mod
    CZ American .22lr + 3-9x56 + Mod
    Baikal 12g single ejector

  2. #2
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by TokaS View Post
    Right my FAC variation is on the way back to me apparently. Lancs were happy with me doing my DSC1, they have put on a mentoring clause but it seems very relaxed, having spoken to one of the firearms staff, they have agreed that my mentor just needs to be happy that i am on top of the safety aspect of shooting my rifle and that can be done zeroing/fox or deer work. Whether it only takes a couple of trips out for the letter to go in they will be happy with that.
    They have requested this as apparently the DSC1 does not concentrate on practical safety, only on classroom based questions about legislation.....lol....news to me!!! I will wait till i have done it and send them a polite email just pointing out that it is incorporated in case they didn't know that??!!

    Now i just have to wait for the right rifle, i will post in the wanted section...

    atb

    Good news and congratulations on the FAC, good luck with the search for a rifle and on your DSC1, though I know you'll breeze it. Commiserations on the "mentoring clause".

    I'll want to talk with you about how that happened next time we meet.

  3. #3
    Cheers Tamus!!

    at first i was worried it was going to be one of those mentoring conditions which stated how many months/stalks/deer etc you needed to do/shoot etc but i argued the fact that they were going to let me have it for fox without the need for a mentor and some of the deer were on the same land....so couldnt see how there was any added danger to my shooting one species as compared to another...the firearms officer conceeded the fact and agreed that any mentoring would not be onerus...whether i was with my mentor zeroing, shooting targets, fox, vermin or deer it would all count towards my mentor writing me off. I didnt fight it knowing this as i will be planning to do my zeroing in with my mentor anyway and we have done a fair bit of foxing together so he already knows me and my shooting, after a couple of sessions i think he will sign me off so not worth fighting over for me...

    atb

    Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 Doctor Optics 8x56 T4 Mod
    CZ Varmint .17HMR + 6.5-20x56 + Wildcat Mod
    CZ American .22lr + 3-9x56 + Mod
    Baikal 12g single ejector

  4. #4
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by TokaS View Post
    Cheers Tamus!!

    at first i was worried it was going to be one of those mentoring conditions which stated how many months/stalks/deer etc you needed to do/shoot etc but i argued the fact that they were going to let me have it for fox without the need for a mentor and some of the deer were on the same land....so couldnt see how there was any added danger to my shooting one species as compared to another...the firearms officer conceeded the fact and agreed that any mentoring would not be onerus...whether i was with my mentor zeroing, shooting targets, fox, vermin or deer it would all count towards my mentor writing me off. I didnt fight it knowing this as i will be planning to do my zeroing in with my mentor anyway and we have done a fair bit of foxing together so he already knows me and my shooting, after a couple of sessions i think he will sign me off so not worth fighting over for me...

    atb
    There are other words which might apply, but onerous doesn't seem to be the one in this case and being able to work around it is good for you. You'll be able to come and stalk without having to ask for another variation/clause removal, at least. Which is good

    Some poor blighters must get into an awful mess trying to abide by such conditions, dragging mentors all over the country, I guess... or maybe not.

    atb~Tom

  5. #5
    I did have to demonstrate safe gun handling on my DSC level 1 to the assesor. So I disagree with your firearms teams comments. Did you not argue the case that rifle safety is part of the course?

  6. #6
    I mentioned that i thought it was....once i have done it i will send the officer an email confirming it is and what is expected. She seemed to be suggesting that it isnt a practical part of the tests, rather a written test, but from the little i know it will be as practical an assessment as they can make it...

    atb

    Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 Doctor Optics 8x56 T4 Mod
    CZ Varmint .17HMR + 6.5-20x56 + Wildcat Mod
    CZ American .22lr + 3-9x56 + Mod
    Baikal 12g single ejector

  7. #7
    Well when I did mine, one bloke failed the safety bit and another failed the shooting,

    both re tested and passed.

  8. #8
    i have heard of a few failing the shooting or at least taking up a lot of time to pass it, that is hoped to be my strong point as i dont do well at written exams...fingers crossed and all that!!

    atb

    Browning A-Bolt Medalion .243 Doctor Optics 8x56 T4 Mod
    CZ Varmint .17HMR + 6.5-20x56 + Wildcat Mod
    CZ American .22lr + 3-9x56 + Mod
    Baikal 12g single ejector

  9. #9
    I can't believe some of the stories I hear on here, although Kent are taking quite avwhile with my variation sometimes I am really happy I live here though. I was granted my FAC 1 year ago at 17 with 22RF and 243 for fox and deer, without DSC1 and with out any conditions and that came through in about six weeks from when I sent in my application.

    The fact you have done DSC1 proves you can shoot and like you said if they will let you shoot fox unaccompanied why not deer?
    CZ Mod 2e .22 ~ AI AE 6.5x47 ~ Sako M591 .308

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Well when I did mine, one bloke failed the safety bit and another failed the shooting,
    both re tested and passed.
    when I did mine three people failed the shooting (out of 12 ish). not the novices either, the ones with their own rifles and all the gear

Similar Threads

  1. variation
    By PKL in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-03-2011, 13:38
  2. FAC Variation Success
    By HoyBoy in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 18:19
  3. FAC Variation + police caution
    By HoyBoy in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 11:44
  4. FAC Variation
    By TonyC in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-11-2008, 19:55
  5. variation of fac question
    By normski in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 18:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •