Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stalking without moderators

stalking without moderators

How many of you stalk regulary with unmoderated rifles,just wondering really as nearly every new rifle comes screw cut,is it a necessary evil or a personal option,me personally think they are expensive,ungainly and do nothing for the looks of a classic stalking rifle,but I can appreciate the need for moderators on say a foxing rifle in the dead of night ,but on a stalking rifle??????? just like to hear your views
    Jase.

Don't use a mod, never thought the weight was worth it.

They make no difference on my ground to how many deer get shot i have a rape field now with 5 bangers on it the deer never even lift their heads when they go off.
    I hate the balance also and prefer not to use 1. my 6.5 wears one for clients and now rather then change zero i stalk with it left on.
    but my 7mm just has a muzzle break, i prefer that.

Hi Jase,
    In my opinion when you have a job to do and get your cull in on the does and kids they are invalueable.
    Shoot the doe first and the kids willl stand not knowing what as happened giving you enough time to take them out also.
    If you did that with a rifle without a mod the kids would starburst and the chance would be gone.

Mark.

Not really necessary for stalking, but a good idea if you are culling close to residential areas.

I tried one on one of my rifles but we did not get on so went back to ear plugs.mods make a rifle unbalanced and awkward to carry but if you have to use one so be it ,just not for me!!
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 1 View Post
    Hi Jase,
    In my opinion when you have a job to do and get your cull in on the does and kids they are invalueable.
    Shoot the doe first and the kids willl stand not knowing what as happened giving you enough time to take them out also.
    If you did that with a rifle without a mod the kids would starburst and the chance would be gone.

Mark.
    maybe on your ground but not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 1 View Post
    Hi Jase,

Mark.
    Not necessarily so managed without one for years, the kids will often stand even without a mod, or even if they run will stop within a few yards giving you a chance

I use one on each of my rifles. They are cumbersome, heavy, unbalanced on the shoulder, awkward to fit in a gun case, reflect in the sun in certain conditions.....but very sweet to shoot and admittedly has tightened my groups slightly having steadied the rifle, and reduced felt recoil. Wouldn't say essential to have for stalking, but I don't think I would go back to being without one now.
    Timney

Hi I use to but not now for stalking .dont think it makes much differance . the rifle handles very well without one. still have one for foxing tho Cheers Neil